• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Blechk! I hit a skunk last night

Scottster

CEG'er
Driving home from friends house last night I heard a thump driving down a residential street. I guess I was sleepy or something but really didn't think much of it at the time. I can remember smelling a skunk, but just assumed there was one around or whatever.

This morning I was aproaching my car to get in and go to school, and within 10 feet I could smell it again.

But It was not until I got in that I was blown away by the reek of the little ba$*ard.

After class I took the car to a coin-op and used the soapy powerwash in the wheel wells and under the car as best I could.

What else could I do, cause this is almost unbearable? Does anyone know if the smell goes away with time, becasue I fear it won't.

The ironic part is that just 5 minutes before I droped of my friend, he commented on how the inside of my car still smelt like new.

Driving home from friends house last night I heard a thump driving down a residential street. I guess I was sleepy or something but really didn't think much of it at the time. I can remember smelling a skunk, but just assumed there was one around or whatever.

This morning I was aproaching my car to get in and go to school, and within 10 feet I could smell it again.

But It was not until I got in that I was blown away by the reek of the little ba$*ard.

After class I took the car to a coin-op and used the soapy powerwash in the wheel wells and under the car as best I could.

What else could I do, cause this is almost unbearable? Does anyone know if the smell goes away with time, becasue I fear it won't.

The ironic part is that just 5 minutes before I droped of my friend, he commented on how the inside of my car still smelt like new.

appereantly your friend doesnt know the difference between new car smell and rotting skunk... No your car will never smell the same again.

I am pretty sure the smell will fade with time but if you are desperate this is all I could find.

"Remove skunk smell from car

You didn't see the skunk in the road until it was too late, and now your car exudes that foul aroma. Use mustard powder to get rid of those awful skunk odors. Pour 1 cup dry mustard into a bucket of warm water, mix well, and splash it on the tires, wheels, and underbody of the car. Your passengers will thank you."

good luck with this, and if I come across anything else I will post it.

I hit the remains of a skunk a month or so ago. At first the whole car stunk; after a couple days only the trunk stunk; eventually the smell did go away on its own. However, even at its peak the smell wasn't completely overpowering, just foul smelling. I think the spray got on just the tires because it smelled like burning skunk. Yum.

Aren't you suppose to take a bath in tomatoe juice if you get sprayed by a skunk? Might be time for a V-8 bath for your car!

Aren't you suppose to take a bath in tomatoe juice if you get sprayed by a skunk? Might be time for a V-8 bath for your car!

ROTFL

I was thinkin the same thing.

That's gonna be a lot of tomato juice. Better get extra to make Bloody Mary's to help you forget that smell.

Now we know where the "dead skunk in the middle of the road" came from.

that really sucks scott!!!!! at least if you wash it with V8 juice, it'll kinda blend w/ the color of the car!! lol it will eventually go away, just try to stay awake next time you're driving home at night :crazy:

Well, thanks for the suggestions guys.

The smell has disipated pretty much by now. I went back to the coin-op and used the foamy brush on the underside of the car as best I could. I focused on the right side, and the rear pass. wheel well with some "Fantastic" cleaner too. The smell was most concentrated in that area and I think that did the trick.

Maybe I am a little more perseptive of the little sh*ts now, but again last night I saw one crossing the road as I was coming up my street.

I just slowed down and let the thing take it's time

Look on the web - mix up some hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and dish soap. I think it's 1 quart of peroxide with 1/4 cup of baking soda and a tablespoon of dish soap. I had 2 dogs that got skunked a few years back and it works. Nothing gets it all out at once but the worst is gone. Once it is mixed it must be used right away because the chemical reaction dimishes quickly.

I hit a squirrel this morning driving to college half-asleep. Poor thing. Anyways I had a horible alcohol smell in my car a couple weeks ago, turned out it was a bottle of de-icer that exploded in the back of my trunk. Luckily my supervisor gave me a car airfreshener as a going away present!

Last edited:
Back