• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Name that part!!

96Mystique

CEG'er
My car has had a really rough idle lately, and has died sitting at stop lights/signs. Even while driving slowly. So today I was checking around for vacuum leaks, and I unplugged a hose while the car was running, and it started to idle better. So since my rough idle problem was mainly while I was in drive, I pulled the e-brake and put the car into drive. I was pleased to see that it didn't die, nor have too bad of a rough idle when I did this. I don't know what this part is so before I start going mid evil on my bank account, I'd like to know if this could fix my idle, or if it's just a coincident that it idles better. Time for pictures...

The top hose in this picture is the one I pulled off. It comes from the intake manifold, right below the TB.

DSCI0139.jpg

The hose leads to the part that is right below the blue wire, that has the cap top. (It's not a cap.) It's right on the firewall.

DSCI0141.jpg

And the hose that is below leads to another part exactly like that further down the firewall. (Right below the yellow zip tie.)

DSCI0142.jpg

So would these effect the rough idle? What are they called? What's their purpose? I need to know ASAP, 'cause this is my daily driver, and I have to have it fixed tonight. Thanks!

the hose is nothing more than a vacuum line. in this case it goes to those pieces with the "caps". these are solenoids. the top one is for the EGR and the bottom one is for the EVAP canister purge. if one of these solenoids is stuck open, that would allow the vacuum to go through the solenoid and, in the case of the EGR, open the EGR valve. this could give you a rough idle as either one will mess with the air/fuel mixture.

i would try to pinpoint which one is at fault. to do this, disconnect the lines from the little T-fitting and plug one in at a time and see if the idle gets better. whichever one doesnt help the idle is probably the one at fault.

the hose is nothing more than a vacuum line. in this case it goes to those pieces with the "caps". these are solenoids. the top one is for the EGR and the bottom one is for the EVAP canister purge. if one of these solenoids is stuck open, that would allow the vacuum to go through the solenoid and, in the case of the EGR, open the EGR valve. this could give you a rough idle as either one will mess with the air/fuel mixture.

i would try to pinpoint which one is at fault. to do this, disconnect the lines from the little T-fitting and plug one in at a time and see if the idle gets better. whichever one doesnt help the idle is probably the one at fault.

Well said. Also you might check the vacuum lines for blockage. Just take them off and blow through them.

I pulled both, and then started the car. Did decent not the best. I then plugged the one for EVAC and started it again, did decent again. I unplugged it, and plugged the one for the EGR, and it was all over itself. Rough idle, wouldn't stay at any certain range of RPM (would bounce all over in between 500-1100RPMs.) Would this suggest that the EGR solenoid is bad? All the lines have clear air ways also.

The line for the EGR solenoid has a light gray plastic tube (which I thought was rubber), leading down underneath the car. What does this tube go to? I accidentally snapped it. Which I am in the process of fixing, but it's difficult since it's so small.

i would say that the solenoid for the EGR is probably bad. i believe that grey plastic line is for the HVAC controls.

Last edited:
Back