• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Shouldn't I be getting better mileage?

my svt dies right at E...found out the hard way...35 dollar taxi cab ride later:blackeye:

You didnt believe the low fuel light?

Well then my car is awsome because I am getting 32-34ish MPGs with Mobil gas which IIRC is 10% ethanol... I am driving hard too, shifting at 4k and when I need to 5.5-6k...

Yes but what engine is that?

Filled up last night with 321 miles on the clock, gauge heading for "E." Took about 12.5 gallons, so I had 2.5 remaining. Mileage was 25.62, and included a trip down to RI and a run down the Cape, as well as a trip in and out of Boston in rush hour traffic and some suburban work.

Filled up last night with 321 miles on the clock, gauge heading for "E." Took about 12.5 gallons, so I had 2.5 remaining. Mileage was 25.62, and included a trip down to RI and a run down the Cape, as well as a trip in and out of Boston in rush hour traffic and some suburban work.
im lucky to get 250 Miles before the gas light comes on in the SVT, although i only put in about 11 gallons so its still in the 23-24MPG range. I have never hit 300 miles before having to fill up though. :(

I'll keep you posted on this current tank. I just passed half way and about 190 miles. I'm keeping in mind this is the tank the car came with so it might be 10% ethanol which I wont use in the future, the tires have been at 32psi instead of the 34-35 I'll probably run them at and there is no fuel additive in the tank whereas I'll be running a 6oz mixture of Lucas UCL and MMO.

Last edited:
I'll keep you posted on this current tank. I just passed half way and about 190 miles.

The tank in the girl's Fox Cougar holds 22.8 gallons. At 20 mpg, it will go 456 on a tank. At 26, which it will do on the highway, you're talking 593. That's enough to get you from Boston to about the North Carolina border.

When I had my first Taurus SHO, I once ran from Arlington, VA to Beverly, MA without stopping for gas, food, drink, etc. The only time the car came to a halt was to pay a toll. I never got out. I had 481 miles on the clock when I filled up, and 1.3 of the tanks 18.4 gallon capacity remaining. That was good for 28.3 to the gallon, and was all the better given the car had about 200,000 miles on it at the time. :cool:

Laura I get nearly the same gas mileage you get...but I have an ATX Zetec :facepalm:. I usually get a bit over 300 until my needle nears the E. Usually when I fill up it'll take between 12.5-13 gallons, usually closer to 12.5.

Well on my way back from my other office (60 miles hwy round trip) I passed 250 miles on 3/4 of a tank. Not much longer and I'll have my first honest tank mpg on this new car.

Well on my way back from my other office (60 miles hwy round trip) I passed 250 miles on 3/4 of a tank. Not much longer and I'll have my first honest tank mpg on this new car.

One thing to know about our gas tank is that its shape will make you think you are getting excellent MPG's when the needle is above the 1/2 mark on the fuel gauge... Usually I will get around 130-140 on the first 1/4, then 110-120 on the second 1/4, then 75 on the third 1/4, then after another 75 it is on the empty mark and takes 12ish gallons to fill up...

Last edited:
One thing to know about our gas tank is that its shape will make you think you are getting excellent MPG's when the needle is above the 1/2 mark on the fuel gauge... Usually I will get around 130-140 on the first 1/4, then 110-120 on the second 1/4, then 75 on the third 1/4, then after another 75 it is on the empty mark and takes 12ish gallons to fill up...

I agree with you.

1st 1/4 80
2nd 1/4 65
3rd 1/4 70
4th 1/4 50

I always get between 250-260 to a full tank. If i cruise at 70 on the e-way, i will get 270-290. With the flow of traffic around me, nobody does 70 on the e-way.

When i had an after market resonator, i was getting 310-320. Which is the reason i swapped out my stock one for an after market one again.

I never heard about cleaning out the egr? Kinda sounds odd, but why would the curves of duel change so dramatically of it has some carbon build up. I must not be thinking right or i am missing something right now.

I never heard about cleaning out the egr? Kinda sounds odd, but why would the curves of duel change so dramatically of it has some carbon build up. I must not be thinking right or i am missing something right now.

The EGR lowers the temp in the chamber while cruising which helps with efficiency. So when its flowing properly you'll see better gas mileage.

filled the SVT this afternoon after 241 miles. i put in 11.136 gallons yielding me only 21.6MPG :(. i had bought a new fuel filter a couple weeks ago for it so i decided to install it tonight. the fuel that i drained out of the filter was nasty and it looked like it might have been the original filter. :nonono: im sure i could benefit from a good intake manifold cleaning, and new plugs and wires as well.

filled the SVT this afternoon after 241 miles. i put in 11.136 gallons yielding me only 21.6MPG :(. i had bought a new fuel filter a couple weeks ago for it so i decided to install it tonight. the fuel that i drained out of the filter was nasty and it looked like it might have been the original filter. :nonono: im sure i could benefit from a good intake manifold cleaning, and new plugs and wires as well.

Svt's get's either 250, 300 or 350 miles per tank. Which is huge because its anywhere from 17.5-24.6 mpg

So 21mpg is pretty good.:shrug: Better than my 18mpg:help:

Svt's get's either 250, 300 or 350 miles per tank. Which is huge because its anywhere from 17.5-24.6 mpg

So 21mpg is pretty good.:shrug: Better than my 18mpg:help:
yeah but coming from a zetec that got 28MPG even with the turbo, its big hit for me.

I just filled up and the math says 25.4mpg and thats with the AC on probably 95% of the time.

what car? motor etc?

Your sig says soon to have svt. Did you finally get an svt?

You must do highway miles, since svt lists 21 city 29 e-way. So thats no way an all city driving with the ac on.

Thats my bone stock CSVT as it came from the previous owner with about 180 miles of highway. The tank now has non-ethanol gas with 6oz of MMO in it and the tires will be getting the pressures bumped up a little like I'm used to.

Back