• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Do clutches have ajustment?

Similar to bleeding the brakes.

The slave cylinder bleed port is on the top of the bell housing, below the throttle body and air intake. You probably need to remove the air intake for access, at least the first time. It seems like I remember that it take an 8mm wrench (box preferred).

Make sure the brake master cylinder is full (it feeds the clutch master). Have an assistant pump the clutch pedal slowly about a half dozen times and while the pedal is down, open the bleed port and allow a spurt of fluid to escape. Close the port immediately after opening it (hopefully after a spurt, but if there is no spurt, close it after a second or two anyway). With the port closed, pump the clutch and repeat. Repeat entire process as necessary until there is no air left in the lines.

If it has not been done in the last two or three years, it would not hurt to actually change both the clutch and brake fluid.

Similar to bleeding the brakes.

The slave cylinder bleed port is on the top of the bell housing, below the throttle body and air intake. You probably need to remove the air intake for access, at least the first time. It seems like I remember that it take an 8mm wrench (box preferred).

Make sure the brake master cylinder is full (it feeds the clutch master). Have an assistant pump the clutch pedal slowly about a half dozen times and while the pedal is down, open the bleed port and allow a spurt of fluid to escape. Close the port immediately after opening it (hopefully after a spurt, but if there is no spurt, close it after a second or two anyway). With the port closed, pump the clutch and repeat. Repeat entire process as necessary until there is no air left in the lines.

If it has not been done in the last two or three years, it would not hurt to actually change both the clutch and brake fluid.

So I did this process 4 times... Would that be enough to get air out of the lines (if I even did have air in the lines)? Also, the brake fluid cover should have been loose/off, right?

Also, there is no way of making things worse by doing this, right? :rolleyes:

So I did this process 4 times... Would that be enough to get air out of the lines (if I even did have air in the lines)? Also, the brake fluid cover should have been loose/off, right?

Also, there is no way of making things worse by doing this, right? :rolleyes:

It doesn't matter is the lid is off or loose on the brake master cylinder.

Four times may not be enough. Did you notice an improvement?

It doesn't matter is the lid is off or loose on the brake master cylinder.

Four times may not be enough. Did you notice an improvement?

LOL, I do not know, my car is up on bricks while I am waiting for the poly in my mount to harden... Maybe I will do it more today, but I will have to go out and buy brake fluid so it stays at the MAX line...

4 times may NOT be enough, and yes.. you can make things worse if your assistant allows the pedal to travel away from the floorboard with that nut open/loose. It will suck air IN.

4 times may NOT be enough, and yes.. you can make things worse if your assistant allows the pedal to travel away from the floorboard with that nut open/loose. It will suck air IN.

Well I did it 3 more times today... And I should not have problems with my assistant, given that it was a piece of wood long enough to hold the clutch all the way down and brace itself on the steering wheel :laugh:

well.. I've used people who were as dumb as a board and it didn't work out so well... You just skipped the pissed off feeling at THEM and put it all on YOU if it fails.. :D :D :D

Well, then we will find out on Tuesday if I suck at life or not :rolleyes:

But, if I did somehow screw this up and need to do it more times, what brake fluid should I use? I have no idea what is in there and do not want to put all new stuff in, period... Should I just go with DOT3?

hehe.. I didn't say you sucked at life.. lol I just thought it was funny that you used a piece of wood.. quite clever actually :)

Any DOT3 will be fine...

ahh.. so there's only about 5000 people to look through.

Found it, apparently it was in the NECEG...

i ended up bleeding my clutch on my own when i did the motor swap solo. its going to take like a 1000 pumps to start to get pressure,well,it did in my case:shrug: than you just use a long prop rod to hold the pedal down while you open/close the bleeder. sure two people helps,but isn't needed.

haha.. good to go.. nice that you use search features.. I can certainly toast a beer to that..

Back