• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

97 Mystique wont start

allen78j20

New CEG'er
Hello! I have a 1997 Mystique , Zetec engine automatic with 145.xxx miles on it. My son bought it a month ago and it was running fine. We were checking the plugs and we found that the vally was full of oil. He and a friend replaced the gasket but when they removed the plugs, oil ran down into the cylinders. The car ran and on his way home started to stall on him. He finally got it home. Now it wont start. I bought a book for the car, I do that with every vehicle we have owned(good habit)and here is what I have so far:

Engine rotates but wont start, I took off the camsprocket cover to make sure it was rotating.

Check Engine light goes out when trying to start.

Checked the fuel filter and it was clogged, and I replaced it.

Checked the coil pack, primary and secondary windings within spec.

Replaced the spark plugs and wires.

Checked to make sure fuel was getting to the fuel rail by pushing on the fuel pressure release valve(schrader valve) and there is plenty, took 5 seconds for it to fully release pressure.

Checked the fuel cutoff switch to see if it was popped up, and it wasnt.

Checked the fuel injectors to make there they ohm'd out, and they are within spec.

Tried to start it in Park and in Neutral, same thing.

I havent pulled the timing covers off to check if the timing was on, i.e no 1 on tdc, just incase it might have skipped a tooth or something. Im trying to save that for last!

Im at a loss!! Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction!

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Allen

Does the engine sound like it is spinning very fast? If it is, then it lost compression. Try pushing the gas pedal all the way down (this shuts off the fuel) when you are cranking it.

If that doesn't work, try removing two spark plugs and put two teaspoons of oil in the cylinders. Reinstall and then try cranking again.

Does the engine sound like it is spinning very fast? If it is, then it lost compression. Try pushing the gas pedal all the way down (this shuts off the fuel) when you are cranking it.

If that doesn't work, try removing two spark plugs and put two teaspoons of oil in the cylinders. Reinstall and then try cranking again.

When I start the car it sounds normal, just doesnt fire. I have tried to push the gas pedal down, and it seems to want to start more, but it just doesnt kick over.

I'll try the oil in the cylinders tomorrow when I get off work. Thanks for the advice and keep it coming!

Allen

It could be the timing belt. It's pretty easy to take off the timing belt cover. Just two 8mm bolts hiding under the high pressure PS line. Remove those and fiddle the cover outta there and have a look at the timing belt, and take a good look at the belt when you start the car. The entirety of the belt might not be ruined, maybe only a certain portion of it.

Update: I checked the timing belt all was good. I put oil in each of the cylinders and she fired up! Smoke everywhere. Pulled out of the garage under its own power, revved it up for a little bit at 2000 rpm then let it idle for 5 minutes, all was good, but a little smoky. I shut it down, got it started again but it had a little trouble. Revved it up at 2k for 30 seconds, then let it down to idle and it wanted to die. Finally got it to idle by itself, then I put it in gear and it died, and it hasnt started since.

What now? lol

back up top! I wonder if changing the oil(more viscosity) would help.

If a viscosity issue is the culprit, I'd be concerned about the condition of your bearings and valves, etc. However, changing the oil certainly can't hurt. Question: did the crank position sensor get doused with oil or anything else at any point during the work you've done? That could certainly create a stalling condition.

Im not sure if I was near the cps, I was mainly around the top end. I ran it again after putting oil into the cylinders to get it fired up. It will idle all day long but I noticed at first that there was exhaust coming out of the antifreeze bottle. Drove it around the block then back in the driveway. Once the oil burned off is when it started to die when I put it in gear. I would have to hold the pedal down halfway to get it started again and hold the gas at a higher idle to get it in gear and keep it from dying. No creamy oil though, but Im not ruling out a head gasket now, unless there is something else that might cause that. The car ran hot(inop temp guage), fan was on since the beginning today with a check engine light now.

Im not sure if I was near the cps, I was mainly around the top end. I ran it again after putting oil into the cylinders to get it fired up. It will idle all day long but I noticed at first that there was exhaust coming out of the antifreeze bottle. Drove it around the block then back in the driveway. Once the oil burned off is when it started to die when I put it in gear. I would have to hold the pedal down halfway to get it started again and hold the gas at a higher idle to get it in gear and keep it from dying. No creamy oil though, but Im not ruling out a head gasket now, unless there is something else that might cause that. The car ran hot(inop temp guage), fan was on since the beginning today with a check engine light now.

You may have several issues at play, including some of the stuff you've touched on. One thing to consider for at least part of the problem is the idle air control, or IAC valve. Its failure will create a hard starting condition and will require that you keep your foot on the accelerator to maintain idle. Once you let off, it will go stone dead. You may consider removing it and cleaning it with Berrymans, then reinstalling it to see if that makes a difference. Also, you've gotta run those codes. I'd start there and see where it leads you.

Back