• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

hardline clutch

ohiocsvt

CEG'er
has anyone else done this. i blew out the line from the clutch mc and couldn't bring my self to pay for the replacement from ford. so i hard lined it using brake lines and a couple of fittings. was wondering if it could damage anything? i have been driving it like this for about a year and love the pedel feel it has given me.

It should be fine. As long as it doesn't leak you're good, since the clutch line never sees high pressures like the brake lines do.

I'm not sure if this is the same type of thing as a brake line for the clutch but it would be nice if there was a S.S. line available.

Ive just never looked at the line.

If you wanted to put on stainless steel brake lines it would work just the same as if you were replacing it with regular brake lines.

Ohiocsvt I am curious about what you mean by a shorter throw. Changing your clutch lines shouldnt effect the shift throw, or are you talking about the pedal travel for your clutch. Although that should have the same travel as when you use factory lines. The only difference is it probably took you more clutch movement when you were using it and your lines were leaking.

Think of it like putting SS brake lines in, you get better pedal feel because you lose the expansion of the rubber brake lines. Now, brake lines operate on a much higher pressure so i'm sure that with this, there isn't the big difference that you see going to SS brake lines.

Although, i'm sure it helps out...

I'm actually kind of interested in this and may look into it when I put my torsen in...

Think of it like putting SS brake lines in, you get better pedal feel because you lose the expansion of the rubber brake lines. Now, brake lines operate on a much higher pressure so i'm sure that with this, there isn't the big difference that you see going to SS brake lines.

Although, i'm sure it helps out...

I'm actually kind of interested in this and may look into it when I put my torsen in...

yes but my question is: is there a ready made S.S. line for the clutch application on our cars? from what i have read its just a hose like a brake line.

One thing to worry about though, if you used ALL hard lines, and no flexible section is that the line will eventually crack because of engine movement and vibration. You really should have at least a short section of flexible line to absorb the movement difference between the body and engine.

Second that on engine movement and flex. There is a reason they designed it that way. Also keep in mind that the master is all plastic and having no flex at the master end will eventually damage it. Master cylinder is no walk in the park to change because of the access.
Mmm… on the second note how did you even manage to connect the hard line to master? It’s a spring clip type fitting and in my experience I’ve never seen those for hard lines. Unless you are talking about the plastic mid section of the line that mates into the rubber hose on both ends. If that is what you’ve replaced then it’s all good.

Last edited:
ok i took both nipples(for lack of a better word) from the original line and used compression fittings and alum brake line. i bent in a extra coil to help with some of the flexibilty issues. its now been about 8 months now and no cracks or probs(yet) as for a shorter throw i was speaking of pedal movement. and it wasn't leaking before it blew. at least if it was it wasn't for very long. the stuck line has some fluctuation and flex that seems to have made the feel of the clutch tighter. idk maybe its just in my head. and your right changing the master was no fun. i've done two now

Back