• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

brake lines on Baer calipers

Smalls

Addicted CEG'er
one of my SS brake lines that came with the brakes is garbage. i have no time to wait for another set of lines to come in the mail. will the fittings from the oem lines work with the PBR calipers?

Highly doubt it.
Good luck but you're probably best to find the closest Baer dealer and cross your fingers.
I wouldn't waste my time trying to fix this through anyone but Baer---they also have excellent tech support when you call.
-J

Also, the '94+ Cobras and earlier Vettes use the same PBR caliper as Baer so a dealer may have a caliper fitting that you could use to make a new hose.
I'd still call Baer first.
-J

Also, the '94+ Cobras and earlier Vettes use the same PBR caliper as Baer so a dealer may have a caliper fitting that you could use to make a new hose.
I'd still call Baer first.
-J

Be careful calling it the "same" caliper. It's the same family, but there are differences. The mounting holes in the anchor bracket are different between the Cobra PBR and the Baer PBR, and I've never measured a corvette one. And piston sizes are different for various versions as well. The two different ones I'm aware of are 38mm for the old cobra ones, and 40.5mm for the later cobra ones. Fwiw, the 38mm versions would be preferred sizing for the contour, at least for me :) but wtf do I know, lol. But, the 40.5 versions will be much easier to find in the cobra calipers, and probably the Baer ones as well, but I'm not sure on those.

That said, the thread used on the inlet port of the later Cobra PBR is M10x1, which I believe is the same thread on the caliper end of the stock contour brake line as well . . . in theory, it should work, but who knows, there could be something in there that throws a monkey wrench in the whole works.

-Pre '94 cobra banjo bolt thread is M10x1.25 and are incorrect for the baer calipers.

'94 Was the first year of production for the 2-piston PBR's in the Cobra. (not speaking on the 93 Cobra R because I don't remember for sure)

-'94-'04 cobra banjo bolts could possible require more than 2 copper washers to prevent the bolt from going into the pot too far causing it to hit the piston.

Why would you use the cobra banjo bolt when none of the contour brake lines available have a banjo block on them? They simply thread directly into the caliper because of this:

-Goodridge OEM braided lines are M10x1.0 into the caliper
[/QUOTE]

Blu_fuz:
Thanks for posting the pics/info.

'94 Was the first year of production for the 2-piston PBR's in the Cobra. (not speaking on the 93 Cobra R because I don't remember for sure)
[/quote]
From the SVT literature, the '93R has the '94 Cobra braking system, but who know exactly:shrug: .
-J

So are you saying don't use/order the Baer stainless lines for the Baer caliper kit because it is unecessary? I think that is what you mean.

If my Baer braided lines with the banjo bolt were bad, I would just go to a OEM stainless braided line, because like stated before, they are the same thread :).

I also think the banjo bolt system is more likely to leak because you now have 4 parts (two washers, bolt, and brake line) to make one connection VS just one part (OEM brake line). Just my thought.... I was just getting new banjo bolts because I already have the Baer stainless lines :shrug:

You were highlighting the differences between the cobra and baer banjo bolts, and my point was why bother using a cobra banjo bolt if you're adapting the cobra calipers to the contour? Simply use whatever lines you have already for the contour, whether they be the SS ones, or the original stock rubber lines if that's all you have.

That is what I thought you were saying.... If the offset of the cobra rotors matches up with the wilwood calipers, I will be using the willys for sure anyway :drool:

LOL, even if they don't match its not hard to modify.

I'm just waiting on my bracket back from my machinist to test my setup :) too bad I don't have tires yet for the only wheels I have that will clear those brakes, lol.

Slap an M10 to 3AN adapter in with one crush washer and move to more conventional racing AN ends. If you can deal with a 45* hose end I think my own parts would work. M10 hardline end, covered braided hose, -3 45 and you're done. (ok, pretty sure it's a 45 not 90. need to check)

Back