• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Tint Percent in PA

tycontour0514

CEG'er
I am looking to get tint for my contour and I was wondering what the legal percentage is in PA. thanks and what pecentage is good to go with to.

if I am not mistake its 70% ...

search the web and there are many sites that list tint laws by state ...

also this is much better suited for the regional forums ... so off we go ....

Basically the tint that is on the car from the factory (there is a tint on the glass) is what is legal. Anything that you add to the windows is/will be illegal.
I've had mine on a tint meter after taking the tint off and it was at the legal limit. I had them re-tinted anyway. ;)

If you insist on tinting stay on the light side.

So how is it that some cars come with dark tint from the factory and get away with it? Couldn't you just say its factory?

If it is from the factory it's fine. Unfortunately you can't just say it's from the factory. :( It would be nice though. That has to be proven.

70% is way to light. its like looking throw i regular window. i want like 35% all around.

Ding, ding... that's exactly what 70% is, looking through the regular windows.

Do your 35% all the way around but be prepared to possibly get stopped. I take that chance every time I take my SVT out.

They can pull you over for just having tint.

It's the seat belt law that is secondary. They'd need to pull you over for something else to be able to ticket you for not wearing a seat belt.

I live in a town near Pittsburgh that is supposedly tough on tint laws.
I still put 30% on it this winter and will take my chances. I've had tint on all my cars and as long as you don't do things or have other mods to attract police, you'll be less likely to get harassed.
When I get pulled over, I roll down BOTH front windows and keep both hands on the wheel until the officer is at the window. I've talked to LEOs and if they feel more comfortable, the better you'll do in the situation.
BTW, the car looks MUCH better with the tint :cool:
-J

The use of ANY sunshading material on your windows is illegal in PA . Says so in the inspection rules & regs . It's also in the rules that the police use .

To answer Guitarman's question (again) - YES , you CAN be pulled over for the tint , as I found out first-hand about a month ago :mad: . Then they can get you for other stuff (found that out too :nonono: ) . For what it's worth , the tint ticket should be a fix-it ticket , to remove the tint & get the ticket signed off within 5 days . I miss my tinted windows :cry: .

Did you get pulled over in the Focus and you had to take the tint off the front windows?

If that's the case, major bummer. The Focus looked awesome with tint.

If you can/want to disclose, what else did they get you for?

PA060172.jpg

Hm, strange, see the way I had heard it my senior year of HS was that there were a bunch of different laws on the book, some saying legal, others saying not, so one day I stopped by the local state police barracks and asked the chief, and he again told me that there were contradicting laws on the book and basically told me it's officer discretion. :shrug: I don't know, he could've been wrong, or that could just be how it is in my area, but that's what I was told.

EDIT: Also, the vast majority of cars in my area are tinted to almost blacked out, they all seem to pass inspection and never get pulled over. My neighbor has all but his windshield at 5% and he has had it like that for about 5 years now, plus his parents vehicles are like that too (non-factory tint).

Dan, they pass inspection because the inspection stations no longer enforce that part of the inspection manual. Apparently there were issues with the inspection stations enforcing the tint laws and they petitioned to have it turned back over to the state and local P.D.'s to enforce.

There are many things written about tint that differ from the Vehicle Law of PA. I can tell you this, no one, that I know of, has won at Magistrate Court (unless they took the tint off) or the Court of Summary Appeals for their tint.

20%? Don't drive through Bethlehem. LOL! You may get lucky but then again you may not. ;) Every platoon has at least one tint meter now. Some guys like to enforce it and others, not so much. Limo tint is a different story, you can bank on getting pegged with Limo tint around here. Colored, non-see through tint, you're getting one for that also.

We used to have a guy that worked at the gas station up the street with yellow tint on his yellow Neon. That guy got nailed all the time. :laugh: He even admitted to driving the "long" way to work to avoid getting stopped. He racked up quite a bit of fines until he finally took it off.

Some officers give "fix-it" tickets and some don't. Most will but your best bet is to be polite and you will probably get lucky.

I take back roads when I need to take the SVT into center city.

Allen got pulled over for weaving in and out of traffic. ;)

Just kidding. :laugh:
I'll let him tell the story.

Ryan remember how long it took me to get pulled over for my tint? Oh about a week, but luckly it was already on the car when I bought it so no money out of my pocket.

Here's what mine looked like with tint,
RearTinted.jpg

And just as everyone else has said, ANY non-factory tint is illegal. Ty if you're in the Philly area look into Shades of Gray. They're a good tinting company and can give you some more incite into what percent to get.

Back