• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Flywheel replacement cost.

Big G

CEG'er
Ok here's the skinny. I thought the starter was going out of my g/f's Contour cause it started making a squealing noise when you let off the key then it started grinding when ever you tried to start it. I changed out the starter and was checking the flywheel and the teeth are about 1/8 of an inch wide at this point. :shocked: I thought maybe I could get away with it but nope still grinding. The flywheel needs to go. :rolleyes:

Anyways my question is has anyone here had to have their flywheel replaced? What did you pay to have it done. Even if you had your motor changed out that would be about the same price I'd imagine since it is basically the same thing. Any help would be appreciated. If it costs to much I'm just gonna junk the car and buy something else. Stinks cause it's a good running car and I've put a bunch of money into it already but I'm not putting a ton more into it. It just isn't worth it.

About $1500 I'm guessing at a shop. CEGer could pull and fix for about $600. If you're pulling the trans to replace the flexplate I would have it torn down and worn parts replaced. No sense in having to pull the trans. again in a year when something fails. It's a 13 year old car. Might be time to let it go.

Stinks we have only owned the car a year. I have over a grand into now including the car itself. I told my g/f I didn't wanna buy it cause it had been setting for around 4 yrs in her uncle's back yard.It was her parents car and she wanted to help them out with some money and buy the car. What a mistake.:rolleyes: Nothing against Contours the thing rides like a Caddy but it probably didn't help it setting all those years sinking into the ground. Her parents don't exactly take great care of stuff either so That doesn't help it out too much either.

Sorry rambling on. :crazy: Thanks for the reply.

No car will take to sitting around well at all. Especially out in the elements. Nature quickly reclaims.

I've been looking around for prices to get this done. I had 1 guy say no and another said it'd be a minimum of $350 as long as everything went alright. I figure if it costs less then $600 I might as well get it done. That is around what it will cost me to get a different car anyways so I might as well just fix this one since I already have it. :shrug: I have one more person I have to call and get a price from then I'll make my decision. I'll let you all know what happens.If it's not one thing its another.:nonono:

I had a guy come look at the Contour last night and quoted me $375 to do the job. I think I'll be going with the guy that quoted the $350.

I was told that there are 2 different flywheels for a '95. One up to 3/95 then one for after that date on. Is this true? If it is is there any markings on the engine that will tell me the date it was built without having to pull it out first? The motor was replaced before my g/f's parents got the car and I have no idea when the car it came out of was built. I'd hate to buy the wrong one.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
You want a flexplate as stated earlier. The 2 might be a flywheel for a manual car or a flaxplate for an Auto. Looks on the build date inside the drivers door to see which flexplate you need.

That's weird it works for me.:shrug: Here are a couple pics of the flexplates the show.Can you see these?

The one below says from 3/22/95 in the description.
fw140.jpg

Now this one says it will fit from 95-2000 2.5 Contours but doesn't say anything about 3/22/95 and earlier cars.:shrug:

std739.jpg

Last edited:
Had flywheel replaced for $427

Had flywheel replaced for $427

2.5L V6 8 months or so ago, in Milwaukee,WI at TNS Transmission. They were great did it that day, I had a hard time believing they were that cheap, but I wasn't dreaming. They were doing so cheap had them replace alternator, another pain in rear job. Was extra $250, but they gave a lifetime warranty, good enough for me.
Funny thing is I took it in to other shop they said was starter. I told them to be sure, first one did same thing took it back they replaced it. Did same thing then they saw flywheel. Man I got a lotta new parts in that car. This weekend or so need new control arms, chewed up 2 new tires, less than 10,000 miles old......

Big G, if you can send me your full VIN, I'll see if OASIS will at least give me an exact build date. I know 95 is outside the full benefits of OASIS, but I might be able to find the build date at least. PM would probably be best.

I checked on the original door for the car which I still have in my basement and it says it was built 2/95. I'm going to the Ford garage in town and see what it will cost for a new one. I was told by the second guy that there are 2 different flexplate/flywheels for the car.One is around $20 and the other is over $200. If I need that one the cars going for scrape and I'm going to buy something else. I'm done putting money in it.

Does this look more like it?
Z275.gif

I found it at rockauto.com for like $44. I'll see what the Ford garage has to say then I'll make my decision on it. If I can get it for that cheap I'll fix the car.

Last edited:
I stopped at my local Ford dealer today and asked about a flexplate for the car. It ended up being $61 and some change with tax. I ordered it and it should be here Monday. Now I just need to save up the $$ to have it installed.:nonono:

Well I picked up the flexplate today from the Ford dealer.Cost me $64.40 with tax. Hard to believe something the size of a large dinner plate could cause you so much trouble with a car. :rolleyes: After checking out the new one that is deff the problem with the car. The teeth on the one in there are gone. Well now I save the money to have it put in. I have to do some work on my wiring harness under the hood also. One of the PO's was nice enough to not take the car in for the recall on the harness and the coating is cracking off the wires. Looks like I'm going to be becoming close friends with Mr. Liquid tape. :crazy: I knew this was a problem though right after I bought it. Always something.

Back