• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Engine Bogging Down

Matt R

Hard-core CEG'er
Recently my car has been running crappy... everything seems really bogged down and sluggish... kind of like when the A/C is turned on. But you turn on the A/C now... I've seen snails accelerate faster.

Observations:
  • At a steady 3000 rpm hill climb on the highway, I can feel the engine "missing" at random.
  • The car recently threw a CEL... the standard P0136. Reset the code, and it came back soon after.

I recently put a short ram intake on, but these issues have been going on for a couple months now. Wires are only a few months old, and the plugs are relatively new.

Any idea what could be causing this issue? Maybe replace the coil pack?

Might want to change out the O2 sensor that is causing your car to throw the code. P0136 is the O2 sensor not switching/circuit malfunction.

A faulty O2 sensor can read incorrectly and tell the ECU to retard the timing.

How are the CAT's? Possibly clogged?

If you need an 02 sensor I have a spare one laying around.

I would def. check the main cat by disconnecting it from the y-pipe. Don't forget to take the donut gasket off if you decide to take it for a short spin around the block, I lost mine that way.:cry: My main cat was broken inside and restricting the air flow. Now it's just gutted.

I'm replacing the O2 sensor, but I have a feeling that's not it. The engine was like this before the CEL came on. Will probably be ordering a new coil pack to try.

I would def. check the main cat by disconnecting it from the y-pipe. Don't forget to take the donut gasket off if you decide to take it for a short spin around the block, I lost mine that way.:cry: My main cat was broken inside and restricting the air flow. Now it's just gutted.

except Matt has a zetec so no y-pipe and no donut gasket

Partially dislodged IAT sensor was part of the problem. Car works fine now on lower RPMs... but if you put the pedal down hard or make it work, it bogs down and runs crappy... until you get back to low RPMs.

IIRC didn't you just put a new after market filter? If you did clean your MAF, the oil from the filter can be the cause, fouling the sensor.

Well, I replaced the ignition coil pack, and that did it for the higher RPMs bogging down. Just need to change out the lower oxygen sensor, because the check engine light isn't going out, even after resetting it.

I've solved most of the problem. The O2 sensor CEL wasn't actually on anymore, the new code was for the IAT. Wire was broken on it. Respliced the wire, and all CELs have stayed off. The car is still not running like it should, but it's not as bad.

I spoke too soon, the car is running poorly again, and the CEL is back on. It's idling very high (1500 rpms), but only when the tranny is in park, in drive or other gears, it holds at a normal 750rpms. Any reason that would cause this?

Back