• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

I cannot get that oil filter on TIGHT enough!

dlphnfn

Veteran CEG'er
Just wondering if anyone else has the problem of not EVER getting the oil filter on tight enough. It always seems to leak a little bit. I have only had my car for a year so I'm still pretty green, but I cannot get that thing to completely seal up.
Any ideas?? :shrug:
Erick --

Compared to my 88 Turbo Coupe and my 2000 Explorer 4.0 SOHC, this thing is a PITA to change the oil on too! :laugh:

You should look into doing the oil filter relocation mod. The Spectre kits are still pretty cheap right now before the price jumps again.

Can you direct me on where to get that? Or is it some sort of AutoZone/Pep Boys sort of thing? I've seen BrApples Motorcraft (?) relocation kit. That is on the list of future mods... I guess I'll be moving that one UP the list!!
Erick --

**EDIT**
never had the oil filter leak in the stock location, it appears to on my remote filter through ...
That sucks. I'll just have to suck it up and really clean the surface well, then crank it on there, and hope for the best.

Last edited:
tight enough??

most filters say how much to turn them right on the filter itself.

most require ONLY 3/4 of a full turn once the gasket touches.

tighter in this case = NOT BETTER

Just wondering if anyone else has the problem of not EVER getting the oil filter on tight enough. It always seems to leak a little bit. I have only had my car for a year so I'm still pretty green, but I cannot get that thing to completely seal up.
Any ideas?? :shrug:
Erick --

Compared to my 88 Turbo Coupe and my 2000 Explorer 4.0 SOHC, this thing is a PITA to change the oil on too! :laugh:

You go too tight with it, you risk having the gasket shift on you. Hand tightening with one hand until it's snug is fine. Are you laying a bead of oil on the new gasket to seat it properly?

tighter in this case = NOT BETTER

You go too tight with it, you risk having the gasket shift on you. Hand tightening with one hand until it's snug is fine. Are you laying a bead of oil on the new gasket to seat it properly?
Yeah, I shouldn't be so sarcastic since you can't read that... Sorry.
I really think I'm missing something though. I understand not to overtighten, or over "lube" the gasket. I just make sure the gasket from the last filter is attached to the filter I'm removing (don't ask me how I know :blackeye:), clean the surface really well, and put the new one on. I'll just have to keep an eye on it.
Erick --

And you are lubricating the new filter gasket before putting it on? I usually "kiss" my new filter and old filter together both to lube the gasket and for good luck in the coming oil change interval.

Yeah, I shouldn't be so sarcastic since you can't read that... Sorry.
I really think I'm missing something though. I understand not to overtighten, or over "lube" the gasket. I just make sure the gasket from the last filter is attached to the filter I'm removing (don't ask me how I know :blackeye:), clean the surface really well, and put the new one on. I'll just have to keep an eye on it.
Erick --

Are you using a Motorcraft FL-820S filter? If you've got an aftermarket, there may be the possibility of ill fitment. Not particularly likely, but possible.

As for the comment about removal of the old gasket along with the old oil filter, I take it you have experience with double gasketing? I did that on a Fox Cougar once. Shut the engine down immediately (car was still on the ramps), so the car was fine. The ground, though, did not fare so well. Looked like the Valdez had sailed through. The cleanup job took quite a while, and was even less fun in 40 degree weather.

got something different to think about that was brought to my attention ... which I completely forgot about.

double check carfully where the leak is coming from. if this is a svt then the o-ring that is used to seal the oil cooler to the block could be leaking.

The SVT oil cooler,behind the filter,has an 'O' ring seal between it and the block.Over time these weep and leak oil. To repair you need a new 'O' ring for the cooler and a 1/2" drive X 1/2" male allen socket.The oil filter boss is 1/2" hex internal.With the filter off and the allen socket inside the filter boss , remove the boss...take out the old 'O' ring and clean off the cooler and block.Fit the new 'O' ring with little dab of grease to hold in place..Refit to block and retighten the filter boss/tube to spec..it is very tight so use correct torque..easy eh!!! ;)

Are you using a Motorcraft FL-820S filter? If you've got an aftermarket, there may be the possibility of ill fitment. Not particularly likely, but possible.

As for the comment about removal of the old gasket along with the old oil filter, I take it you have experience with double gasketing? I did that on a Fox Cougar once. Shut the engine down immediately (car was still on the ramps), so the car was fine. The ground, though, did not fare so well. Looked like the Valdez had sailed through. The cleanup job took quite a while, and was even less fun in 40 degree weather.
Yep, I'm using the Motorcraft filter, and yes, I double gasketed my Explorer this winter. I had no clue. The X is fine, my garage floor is another story!! :blackeye: Just another excuse to convince the wife I need to epoxy the floor! :cool:
got something different to think about that was brought to my attention ... which I completely forgot about.

double check carfully where the leak is coming from. if this is a svt then the o-ring that is used to seal the oil cooler to the block could be leaking.
Thanks Brapple. I'll look into that for sure next time I change the oil.
Erick --

Back