• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Mileage

HoustonLX

CEG'er
I picked up my CSVT some 8 months ago with just shy of 70k miles. It's factory stock with the exception of a upgraded stereo system and was well cared for. The car now has a little over 78k miles and I will probably put about 14k miles a year on it. With twins due in about a month and daycare going to run me $1,300 a month, it looks like I won't be buying another vehicle for several years. I am 34 and don't beat on this car (just pointing out I am not some 16 year old the will always be hot rodding it). I do the occasional spirited drive, but that's it. The car gets religious oil changes in the 3k-3.5k range and gets other normal maintanance.

My question is how many miles have some of you put on these cars in similar situations without major issues occuring? I'm not talking about simple things like clutch, alternator, etc. I mean more critical things like motor, trans, the all to common diff., etc. Aside from a very slight hesitation on acceleration, this car is in excellent shape.

My last DD was a 93 Toyota 4x4 that I bought with 148k miles and I sold it with 225k miles. In that time frame the truck was incredibly dependable and and the only things I had to work on was replace the clutch (original lasted till 190k miles), and a battery.

Personally I'd extend your oil changes to 5000 or 6 months if you're tight on cash.

agreed, I actually use Mobil 1's Synthetic blend oil, its like .20 more than a traditional dyno oil, and its proven to go 7500 between oil changes, its called "Mobil 1 7500" comes in a silver bottle with a blue cap. I usually go about 5000 between changes.

I bought my '98 SVT in 2003 and it had just over 8,000 miles on it. I've driven it daily and have taken a few driving trips in it. It now has just over 68,000 miles on it. I have not beaten it up and drive it conservatively. It's been a good car and has had minor problems arise, most of which have shown up as a CEL. Failed spark plugs and wires do not show a CEL on my car and I've replaced both a few times. I currently have the Magnecor wires and they've been very reliable for the past couple of years.

I've cleaned the throttle body passages, replaced the EGR valve and the other "valve" below it (forget what it's called) a couple of times, replaced 3 of four O2 sensors (2 have been replaced a couple of times). So, overall (knock on wood), the failures have been minor and the replacement costs minimal. I've done most of the work myself, using the CEG as the braintrust for guidance.

LOL! A $20 oilchange is not going to kill me. I don't mind changing the oil at 3k miles. It's a better piece of mind. Hell, my Mustang got oil changes every 300-500 miles. Then again, most of its miles were put on 1/8-1/4 mile at a time. :)

Well $20 for an oil change is too much to begin with, but I hoard oil so your experience may vary. The idea of a 3000 mile oil change under normal conditions should have died 10 years ago with the new oil formulas.

Well $20 for an oil change is too much to begin with, but I hoard oil so your experience may vary. The idea of a 3000 mile oil change under normal conditions should have died 10 years ago with the new oil formulas.

I agree, I drained 3000 mile oil out of a motor that still was nearly clear.

I agree, I drained 3000 mile oil out of a motor that still was nearly clear.
hmmm clear oil, Mobil 1's new formula:shrug:
I'm interested in the same question as you (car has 20k and will be putting about 20k/yr next 3 years), but from all the reading I've done they are dependable cars if driven and maintained well.
BTW, I only use full synthetic and go 5-6k between changes. I do mostly highway but unless you have a rough stop/go commute, you don't need 3k changes. I also hear you on the Mustang intervals, my '04 Cobra was bought new and I got 3 oil change certificates---had them done at 500, 1000 and 2000, dealer thought I was crazy. :laugh:
-J

Houston stop and go traffic can be one of the most demanding drives of any vehicle. When a normal 15 mile trip can take 45 minutes to one hour on a good day, you learn to not be skimpy on taking care of vehicles. Especially when that drive could be in 100 degree weather. You guys are acting like oil changes at 3k miles are a bad thing. LOL! Now back to the subject at hand

Last edited:
Well, from the reading I'm done, keep about 6-6.5 quarts oil in it, put in the Ford MTX 'honey', worry about the 3rd gear synchro and diff if driven hard, water pump replacement if 98-98.5.
Other than that everything else is basic up-keep for a used driver. Some people have well over 200k on their Contours w/o problems.
-J
edit, saw your post---3k oil changes are probably a good idea for your driving, stop and go in that heat is rough on a motor

Last edited:
Well people occasionally have issues with the water pump (if it has the plastic impeller) and with the fuel pump strainer causing surge and hesitation. The pump strainer you could do yourself but the water pump might be more than you're looking to wrench on.

LOL! The Mustang, which was sold about 8 months ago, wasn't anything special. Just your basic H/C/I/NOS/TKO/33-spline rear fox body street car. I got out of the hobby for a few years till the twins get a little older. Will probably get back into it in 5-6 years. For now I get my fix helping a buddy with his 1300 rwhp turbo'd TT5 stang. It's getting a 25.5 molly cage as we speak.

Last edited:
I picked up my CSVT some 8 months ago with just shy of 70k miles. It's factory stock with the exception of a upgraded stereo system and was well cared for. The car now has a little over 78k miles and I will probably put about 14k miles a year on it. With twins due in about a month and daycare going to run me $1,300 a month, it looks like I won't be buying another vehicle for several years. I am 34 and don't beat on this car (just pointing out I am not some 16 year old the will always be hot rodding it). I do the occasional spirited drive, but that's it. The car gets religious oil changes in the 3k-3.5k range and gets other normal maintanance.

My question is how many miles have some of you put on these cars in similar situations without major issues occuring? I'm not talking about simple things like clutch, alternator, etc. I mean more critical things like motor, trans, the all to common diff., etc. Aside from a very slight hesitation on acceleration, this car is in excellent shape.

My last DD was a 93 Toyota 4x4 that I bought with 148k miles and I sold it with 225k miles. In that time frame the truck was incredibly dependable and and the only things I had to work on was replace the clutch (original lasted till 190k miles), and a battery.

If they put cars in Maybelline ads, mine would be a star. I bought her with 35,800 on the clock. She now has 126K and looks and feels like she's under 50K. She's always been loved, and gets great maintenance. At the same time, she's a daily driver, not a garage queen.

I change the oil every 3K using Motorcraft synthetic blend 5-30. Up until about 100K, I was using Mobil 1, but got tired of paying their absurd prices for no added benefit. About every 20K, I change out the transmission fluid using only Ford's honey colored XT-M5-QS. It's expensive at $18 a quart, but great.

Prior to last years All-Ford Nationals, with about 110K on the clock, I replaced all four struts and mounts, front control arms (with ball joints and bushings included) sway bar bushings front and rear, as well as end links all around. A new coolant temp sensor went in, as did a new water pump, both belts, a T-stat, and new coolant to go with it. In addition, both engine mounts and both roll resistors were swapped out in favor or brand new Ford units. There may well be other stuff that eludes me right now, but that's the bulk of it. I also did an idle air control valve around that time, too.

I also wash the car regularly throughout the year, and she is rust free and lovely looking for it.

As a result, she drives beautifully, looks gorgeous, and is still smooth and rattle / clunk free. Staying on top of routine stuff proactively has proved a great strategy for this excellent Ford jellybean. I love the car, and plan on owning it for some time.

LOL! A $20 oilchange is not going to kill me. I don't mind changing the oil at 3k miles. It's a better piece of mind. Hell, my Mustang got oil changes every 300-500 miles. Then again, most of its miles were put on 1/8-1/4 mile at a time. :)

You think thats bad, I know people that change them every 1/4 mile.

My Contour SVT had 202000 miles on it

My Contour SVT had 202000 miles on it

Always used Mobile 1 or any other synthetic oil if it was on sale. Car has had a few problems over the miles, but no major problems until now. Things like sunroof motor gear, window regulator, front wheel bearing and brakes. Minor things are going now, like the secondary linkage plastic bushing is gone, shift linkage bushing also gone.

Now the major problem. I always went about 6k miles before it needed a quart of oil. Noticed I was using a quart in less than 2k miles. Found that the rear main seal is leaking and getting worse fast. Too bad because the engine still runs great.

Back