• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Oil Filter Choices

Dyoel182

Addicted CEG'er
As a new member/owner I really have to say I'm impressed with the FL820S filter for these cars. On my Mazdas I'm always going between a 6607 or 7317 depending on mood and how long I want the filter to be, but this MC filter takes the cake. Plus its only $3.50 with a silicone adbv. What are you guys using?

most of us use the Motorcraft FL-820S just like you. I know i do.

IIRC others use K&N, Mobile 1, and WIX filters as well.

Motorcraft 820S exclusively. Anything else is either inferior, a ripoff, or both.

Motorcraft 820S exclusively. Anything else is either inferior, a ripoff, or both.

I wouldn't go that far. The reading I've been doing the 820S isn't the greatest in filtration quality(although very much adequate), then again it's not a synthetic media. The location of the relieve valve is nice in the 820S and the fact that it's has a Silicone ADBV. It's a good filter, but I wouldn't say it's the be all end all.

While the 820S could certainly put up with some racing, in situations where the demand on the car is lower than competition or track level, the 820S should be a great choice. While I am confident that there are equivalent choices on the market, I do not believe than any represents a significant gain or any added value. In fact, it is in the latter arena that most filters pale in comparison to the 820S and Motorcraft products in general.

While I am confident that there are equivalent choices on the market, I do not believe than any represents a significant gain or any added value. In fact, it is in the latter arena that most filters pale in comparison to the 820S and Motorcraft products in general.

Exactly my thought. For $4ish you get a well made Purolator filter with the correct bypass pressure valve and silicone anti-drain back valve. Sure the K&N and Mobil 1 (both great Champion Labs) filters are nice but they're also 2x-3x the price.

Exactly my thought. For $4ish you get a well made Purolator filter with the correct bypass pressure valve and silicone anti-drain back valve. Sure the K&N and Mobil 1 (both great Champion Labs) filters are nice but they're also 2x-3x the price.

exactly. also i have never had any problem finding a motorcraft filter.:cool:

Walmart MC 820S, and Supertech full synthetic 5W-30. Don't waste your money on Mobil 1 if you change at the recommended intervals.

if you are running mobil 1 your oil change interval should be 5 to 7k miles. many in the past have had oil analysis done and they where told they could go longer if they wanted on mobil 1.

I shoot for 5k changes with mobil 1 and I stick to 3 to 4k with dyno oil on the 95 ...

if you are running mobil 1 your oil change interval should be 5 to 7k miles. many in the past have had oil analysis done and they where told they could go longer if they wanted on mobil 1.

Used oil numbers show Mobil 1 can easily go 10k under non-offroad/towing conditions.

I also usually use Motorcraft FL820S oil filters on my two Duratec equipped cars. However, there are two others that perform very well. Purolator PureOne and Bosch. Purolator was recently bought out by the parent company that owns Bosch filters, and since the buyout, have been switching over from Champion Labs to Purolator. After all, why not stay in the family. Anyway, the newest Bosch for our cars is really a PureOne painted black.

Something I have noticed when using either filter is that the oil stays cleaner looking much further into oil change cycle.

This site has an analysis of the FL820S oil filter and its alternatives (as referenced earlier):

http://home.mindspring.com/~ed_white/id7.html

Here's what he has to say..
Here is how I rate the filters I have evaluated (regardless of cost) -

Group 1 (My personal favorites)

* Ford Racing CM-6731-FL820
* Motorcraft FL-820S
* Ford OE Filter
* Purolator PureOne PL24651

Group 2 (Filters I might use)

* Fleetguard LF16002
* Denso 150-1014
* Amsoil Ea011
* Wix 51372
* Mobil 1 M1-210
* K&N HP-2010

Group 3 (Filters I'd rather not use)

* Donaldson P550965
* Motorcraft MFL-820
* Bosch 3410
* Purolator Premium Plus L24651
* Fleetguard LF3681
* Hastings LF110 (aka Baldwin B329 / Casite CF-110)

Group 4 (Filters I won't use)

* Pro-Tec 159
* Pep Boys ProLine PPL-24651
* C.G.Enterprises Viper 2 Oil Filter
* Advance Auto Totalgrip AA2
* Fram TG2
* Fram PH2
* Walmart ST2
* STP S2
* ACDelco PF1250

Apparently the Ford Racing CM-6731-FL820 is the same design as Motorcraft FL-820S, but with higher quality components.

Last edited:
Something I have noticed when using either filter is that the oil stays cleaner looking much further into oil change cycle.

Keep in mind there is no way to tell how "clean" the oil is without having an analysis done. Dark oil doesnt always mean its dirty or worn out.

Back