• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Nice Contour on Ebay

Long,long,long thread and talk about lowering springs on SVT struts. its on the old forum, if it hasnt been deleted.

Brake upgrade was a special offer that was offered to the C2 guys...CHEAP in other words.

Extremely nice svt in person.

I don't care how long the thread was. The conclusion should have been "don't do it." There have been millions of threads on this, which is why I can't believe, as good as the rest of this car is, he would waste his time. Or maybe changing struts is no big deal to him, and he was just waiting for these to wear out before he put the good stuff on.

I don't care how cheap the brake parts are, upsizing the rear without attending to the front end is going to upset your braking balance. Not an area I'd want to experiment in. Take advantage of the rear brake deal, but don't install the parts until you can afford a full system.

My point on the clutch/flywheel was that it would be a PITA (or else very $$$) to go through all that work, only to put it back together without an LSD. Again, it's an odd choice, but maybe no biggie if dropping the tranny is just a routine task for him.

My overall point, is that these are not well thought out mods on the surface, and they call the seller's judgment into question. There are possible explanations for his decisions, but the questions need to be asked and answered before I'd plunk down any money on this car. $7500 is a pipe dream. I would expect to get less for this car than for a bone stock SVT, based on the mod philosophy that it presents.

That said, the aesthetics are tastefully done, and I do like it, in general. But again, he'll have to find just the right buyer who shares the same vision.

I don't care how long the thread was. The conclusion should have been "don't do it." There have been millions of threads on this, which is why I can't believe, as good as the rest of this car is, he would waste his time. Or maybe changing struts is no big deal to him, and he was just waiting for these to wear out before he put the good stuff on.

I don't care how cheap the brake parts are, upsizing the rear without attending to the front end is going to upset your braking balance. Not an area I'd want to experiment in. Take advantage of the rear brake deal, but don't install the parts until you can afford a full system.

My point on the clutch/flywheel was that it would be a PITA (or else very $$$) to go through all that work, only to put it back together without an LSD. Again, it's an odd choice, but maybe no biggie if dropping the tranny is just a routine task for him.

My overall point, is that these are not well thought out mods on the surface, and they call the seller's judgment into question. There are possible explanations for his decisions, but the questions need to be asked and answered before I'd plunk down any money on this car. $7500 is a pipe dream. I would expect to get less for this car than for a bone stock SVT, based on the mod philosophy that it presents.

That said, the aesthetics are tastefully done, and I do like it, in general. But again, he'll have to find just the right buyer who shares the same vision.

Man did you ever skip my post...... You are either jealous or have some unresolved issue with this cat. Either way its his car and that is what he chose to do.. Maybe he didnt have the 550 or 750 or 1000 that the quaife cost when he did those mods a while back. I also remember that lsds were scarce for a certain period of time and thats why the prices skyrocketed. And on a final note the clutch and flywheel go on the motor, sure you have to drop the tranny to install those parts but cracking open the MTX-75 is a whole nother realm of pocket change. And lets say he did put an lsd in, maybe your response would be why didnt he upgrade the shift forks and synchros while he had the tranny opened. If what you state should be done when pulling a tranny then everyone on this board would have 3L Turbos pushing 500+ hp or am I wrong. Well if your pulling your 2.5L and installing a 3L why not get the heads ported, why not upgrade the piston, rods, bearings, TB, secondaries, chip, turbo, etc...

Last edited:
Man did you ever skip my post......

You are absolutely right. I didn't read your post at all. I was responding to someone else. Interesting explanation on the suspension choice, but it sounds technically garbled. Koni's too bouncy? Nothing more bouncy than underdamped springs, which is essentially what he has now.

You are either jealous or have some unresolved issue with this cat.

Interesting psychoanalysis, but I don't know this person at all, which is perhaps why I can be dispassionate about the subject at hand. Jealous? If I'm really honest, I'd say, yes I'm a little jealous that he has money to throw at a car whereas I do not, or that if I did, I would be more careful with it.

Either way its his car and that is what he chose to do..

And what he's choosing to do now is sell it with a min bid of $7500, which I predict is probably too much, considering the mods--any mods. I'm simply explaining why I would value it at a lesser number.

If it wasn't for sale, I'd just say, "nice car." Which, btw, I really think it is. Which, btw, I've already said more than once.

Maybe he didnt have the 550 or 750 or 1000 that the quaife cost when he did those mods a while back. I also remember that lsds were scarce for a certain period of time and thats why the prices skyrocketed. And on a final note the clutch and flywheel go on the motor, sure you have to drop the tranny to install those parts but cracking open the MTX-75 is a whole nother realm of pocket change. And lets say he did put an lsd in, maybe your response would be why didnt he upgrade the shift forks and synchros while he had the tranny opened. If what you state should be done when pulling a tranny then everyone on this board would have 3L Turbos pushing 500+ hp or am I wrong. Well if your pulling your 2.5L and installing a 3L why not get the heads ported, why not upgrade the piston, rods, bearings, TB, secondaries, chip, turbo, etc...

Like I said, there are possible explanations for everything, but my initial impression is that it isn't obvious.

Maybe I'm nitpicking on the LSD. I've been led to believe that as long as you're dropping money on labor for the clutch and flywheel, you might as well install the LSD. I guess it's not that cut-and-dried, especially if you're doing the labor yourself. Maybe the clutch and flywheel are easier to DIY. I don't think I'd want to crack open the MTX. That is one area I'm not familiar with. So....you're right.

As for brakes and suspension, I'll stick to my guns. The mods don't make sense, even after reading your post. Still, it wouldn't keep me from buying this car at the right price. I'd just have to factor the cost of well-sorted brakes and suspension into the negotiations. As I said before, I could probably sell the 20's to finance part of the job.

oh man, i would love to get my hands on a cowl hood. The nicest aftermarket hood available IMHO.

I'm with ya on that Jim. I've been wanting one for a while now.

X held on to the car longer than I thought he would. Bummer that he's selling.
He put a lot of work into it, made it his own.

You are absolutely right. I didn't read your post at all. I was responding to someone else. Interesting explanation on the suspension choice, but it sounds technically garbled. Koni's too bouncy? Nothing more bouncy than underdamped springs, which is essentially what he has now.

Interesting psychoanalysis, but I don't know this person at all, which is perhaps why I can be dispassionate about the subject at hand. Jealous? If I'm really honest, I'd say, yes I'm a little jealous that he has money to throw at a car whereas I do not, or that if I did, I would be more careful with it.

And what he's choosing to do now is sell it with a min bid of $7500, which I predict is probably too much, considering the mods--any mods. I'm simply explaining why I would value it at a lesser number.

If it wasn't for sale, I'd just say, "nice car." Which, btw, I really think it is. Which, btw, I've already said more than once.

Like I said, there are possible explanations for everything, but my initial impression is that it isn't obvious.

Maybe I'm nitpicking on the LSD. I've been led to believe that as long as you're dropping money on labor for the clutch and flywheel, you might as well install the LSD. I guess it's not that cut-and-dried, especially if you're doing the labor yourself. Maybe the clutch and flywheel are easier to DIY. I don't think I'd want to crack open the MTX. That is one area I'm not familiar with. So....you're right.

As for brakes and suspension, I'll stick to my guns. The mods don't make sense, even after reading your post. Still, it wouldn't keep me from buying this car at the right price. I'd just have to factor the cost of well-sorted brakes and suspension into the negotiations. As I said before, I could probably sell the 20's to finance part of the job.

I agree with you on the brakes part. That is why I havent upgraded my brake system yet. its one of the last things I need to do before the turbo build starts. As for prices it may be a little steep but then again im selling a 98 CSVT with a 2003 full 3L for 7500. the car has a few mods that came with the car already. Now its the same price, but its 3L fairly stock. Do you think I am asking too much?

I agree with you on the brakes part. That is why I havent upgraded my brake system yet. its one of the last things I need to do before the turbo build starts. As for prices it may be a little steep but then again im selling a 98 CSVT with a 2003 full 3L for 7500. the car has a few mods that came with the car already. Now its the same price, but its 3L fairly stock. Do you think I am asking too much?

It depends. If the rest of the car is well-sorted, and it's clean and well cared for, and the 3.0L swap was done well (whatever that means to a prospective buyer), you could probably find a buyer at that price.

wow... his car is so nice... i remember doing some photoshop work on the rear bumper when he was trying to decide if he should paint the rear "splitter" or not...

Back