• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Duratec not pulling when the secondaries open

DanMyers

Hard-core CEG'er
Hey I was just running my car, and it just started to act weird, you can feel the IMRC open and the car pulls hard for about a second, but once it's past like 4K RPMs it just sounds like the engine is working hard and no torque is getting to the wheels. I'm thinking fuel problem as it feels like the car is getting enough air but not enough fuel, anyone have some insight? Thanks.

Check that your linkage is connected.
I had only one bank opening.
Had to get the correct plastic grommet so the linkage would stay snapped in place.
Or a loose vacuum hose.

Ok, I know the secondaries are opening as I can see them opening, I put new linkages on it like 2 years ago when I did the IM rebuild, but I'll check the rear bank.

No, ok totally new and different problem, now the secondaries work perfectly, however randomly while driving the Tach will start going crazy (while I was accelerating it dipped to zero and back up really quickly, and sometimes it goes from idle speed to 3K) while at the same time the PATS light comes on steady for about 2 seconds, then it hesitates, as in it stalls almost, then starts right back up. I would think alternator, however none of the dash lights other than the PATS light comes on, and the HLs and all lights inside the car do not dim.

Plastic grommet

Plastic grommet

Where did you get the grommet from. Car had no power above 4k, I found out that mine is missing.

Thanks

Check that your linkage is connected.
I had only one bank opening.
Had to get the correct plastic grommet so the linkage would stay snapped in place.
Or a loose vacuum hose.

Definitely very loose was actually out but I put it back in and I missed some wires on the bottom so put it back in place we'll see how it works tomorrow after class. Thanks for all the help so far I'll tell you if it starts up again.

ive got the same problem my motor sounds like its spinning at 9000 rpms at like 5000 and there NO torque, still need to check secondaries jsut havent had time plus its nice, theres no thrill of being in the rpm range so it saves me gas.

Dan, when the tach was surging was the engine going along with it? And with it almost dying and coming back on sounds like the problem I have with a vacuum leak. What did you pull off to fix the linkage?

No, the engine was not going along with the surging, it was just jumping around for no reason, gotta go later to Advance Auto and get a new terminal, mines cracked down the side. Then I'll be able to fully test to see if it was the loose battery cable, but it is very loose and this did start all of a sudden, and with the roads around here, it wouldn't be a surprise to me, and also the fact that I tried to repair it in the dark haha.

You might have a couple of issues. If everything is working you might have a clogged cat. Either main or exhaust pre cats.

Yeah everything is fine now, but I was just sitting in traffic for a long time and I smelled the rotten egg smell indicative of a clogged cat, if it is my pre-cats I guess I have some gutting to do when the semester is over. I had to put a temporary fix on it with some cheap AA terminal, do I have to go to Ford for the OEM style? Because that's the only one that fits right.

But it was a loose cable as I now have all power back, and no more surging or any strange problems. I think that when the cable originally came loose the secondaries were opening and then closing due to lack of an electrical current.

Thanks again for all the help guys.

Back