• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Autocross Results

I wasn't the guy running ths. I did run my sentra in tgs for a year. My contour however is c prepared. In north Carolina it wasn't uncommon to see over a dozen people in tire class. I liked being able to compete with people who were as poor as me. There isn't a tire class here in FL, but I'm competing in my contour now so it doesn't matter.

I see that now. What were the rules for running in tire class? The handbook I have doesnt say anything about it but I would assume any of the low low treadwear tires would not be allowed.

iirc its some where around 150 for treadwear. it would be the same as what the requirements are for STS

I see that now. What were the rules for running in tire class? The handbook I have doesnt say anything about it but I would assume any of the low low treadwear tires would not be allowed.

the rules are simple. If you are in a class that allows r compound tires and you are running street tires, you can enter tire class. The winner of tire class is determined by pax time instead of raw time. For example, a guy in a stock s2000 would have his time paxed as a stock while me in my sentra would get paxed as g stock. The lowest pax time within tire class wins it.

Well I see where I created some confusion here. Most of you all run in G Stock from the looks of it. When I was trying to class my car for pre-registration the SCCA has the 2.0 4 cyl. in H Stock while the V-6 2.5L is in G Stock.

We were all running our times based on raw time in my class, I was on my all season radials. (the goodyear allegras mentioned in my post) Drove to the event with them on, raced, then drove home. My only adjustment I could make was air pressure, I set them to 40psi for when I raced then brought the pressure back to 35 psi for the drive home.

What was explained to me was that if I had the budget to purchase a tire like some Kuhmo V710's that would have made me compete in the H-Stock. Since I was still using my radials (since I cant afford tires at this time, let alone a second FULL set of 4 rims) I was limited in competing in the THS (street tire division of H-stock)

I had a world of fun for my first event and ultimately was proud that I didnt make an embarassment of myself by spinning out or mowing down half the cones. When all was said and done I had a couple drivers in my class tell me that I do appear to have potential to be pretty good with seat time.

Really when it all comes down to it, isnt that the aim? To do your best have fun, keep your equipment in one peice and hopefully make some friends along the way. Much to the "dismay" of my family I just may keep on doing this AutoX thing, if it werent for family obligations this weekend I'd be right back in there going to kill some more cones Sunday.

Why dismay? I need to start looking for good tires for my spare set of rims actually. Hopefully I can find a good deal on some performance tires.

Dismay because my parents (yes I still live at home) have this opinion on racing where they are so convinced that every other racer is like that brat punk kid from the GEICO commercials and they are just flat convinced I'll get creamed into a wall even in autox *rolls eyes*

Anyway to keep things on topic I'm planning on attending MSCCs autocross this Sunday on Belle Isle, I've heard a lot of good things about the lot they use. Considering it was the freshly poured area that was created for the IRL and ALMS paddock. Not officially entered in that one yet but in 2 weeks I'll be at Lawrence Tech University for the second official points event in the Detroit Region SCCA Solo season. Hoping for better results this time around.

Moms always worry. I was in the army for six years and did three deployments. Once i got torn up by a roadside bomb and nearly died. Even so, she still worries about me when I go to a racing event. I convinced her to come to an autocross to show her what it's like. She even said she'll ride in the car. Afterwards I know she'll feel better about it. I just will leave out the parts about the stage rallys. But maybe you should try and convince your parents to come along once. It could help put them at ease once they see how safe it really is.

Intimidatorno3ca is that lot freshly poured as in fresh concrete? if so the concrete is gonna tear your tires up a lot more than pavement. im running grissom this sunday and i got a used set of tires last year basically to run there because its a large concrete lot

Yeah its fresh concrete only a year old now. Its the large lot that ALMS and IRL uses for their paddock area when they come to town.

I noticed it did do a lot of wear to the shoulder of my right front. Instead of being more square it has a definate roundness to it. Been running with chalk on the sidewalls and so far I havent run onto the sidewall itself the chalk is wearing right at the edge of the tread. I'm running tires with a 560 treadwear rating I'd hate to see what that lot would do to a 140 treadwear tire. Im sacrificing a ton of grip by running such a hard tire which explains for such a poor overall season but being so new to the game Im happy just being out there getting seat time.

Just to update on my personal results I've so far participated in three events between SCCA(2) and MSCC(1) each event I've come in last in my class anywhere from 5-7 seconds off of the class winner who in each case are using a much softer tire and more exp than I have. All have been top ten and one was a top five but only because the fields have been small in THS.

This weekend I'm trekking up to Oscoda Mi. at the Wurtsmith AFB for an event put on by the Great American Solo Series that is also a points event for Detroit Region SCCA. They havent updated points yet after my last event but by my estimates I sit in 8th in season points after 2 events. 4 events are needed to be counted for end of season trophies. But I shouldnt care about end of season right now.

As far as where these events can take place they can happen pretty much anywhere there is a wide expanse of pavement. Stadium parking lots (Palace of Auburn Hills, Silverdome) are a good place, as mentioned before the paddock space for the IRL and ALMS on Belle Isle is a great site and even airport taxiways are perfect places to hold autox events. I even had an event earlier this year at DTE Energy Music Theatre. The important thing about finding a place is to make sure there arent too many solid objects to hit or design a course to keep the solid objects out of harms way, like wrapping the course around the outside of a lightpost as opposed to cutting the course infront of it placing the pole on the outside in run off room. spin+post=nothing good.

Well Detroit Regions solo2 season has concluded that I learned a fair bit in my rookie year. Learned that Im surprisingly under prepared for stock class but besides my "granite blocks" I routinely kept within 3-5 seconds of the class winner on better more grippy tires.

Came in 4th* in season points in Street tire H stock. Had a lot of fun and made a couple of friends along the way. Loking at next season already and I may even consider an open track day at my home track for corner working.

I'm just about to pull the trigger on a deal that will net me some 17x7.5 wheels with better tires for events but using those will bump me out of Stock and into Street Touring which if I use them I'm surely to get killed and eaten.

* SCCA Solo2 mandates minimum participation for end of season trophies and best 3 of 6 results were used to calculate standings. My 61 points on 4 events trumps someone with 100 points and 1 event.

What make are the wheels and tires? and what else have you done/are you considering doing to the car?

I'm returning to autocorss after effectively doing nothing this century. I entered the DCSCC season ender on 11/2 down at Belle Isle in my Volvo C30. I'm considering competing in TGS with the Volvo or CMT in my SVTC. The CMT rules are pretty wide open, effectively SM on street tires, but most people are either STS/STU/STX legal.

Right now my Contour is relatively stock but with a catless Y pipe, short shift, CAI and SVT Focus front brakes. That lot keeps me out of any sane class, but I'm considering wheels/tires, camber plates and alignment and playing in CMT.

Thanks

C prepared is where you belong. C mod is for formula cars, I think. Modified super vee's and things of the like. My contour is cp too.

Since I started this thread I have done a total of 3 events. One in the 99 Mystique, one in my old 04 GTO, and one in my 08 N/A Solstice. All were fun in different ways. The Mystique is just plain fun in part because it does so well for being a 9 year old 4 door sedan. The GTO just sounded so effin good plus it has enough grunt that its direction of travel can be changed from the rear end as well as the front. This can be useful on a short twisty track like at the Tire Rack here in South Bend. The Solstice is like a go cart, however I ran in the worst rainstorm of the year.
TireRack9-14-0842-1.jpg
I'm looking forward to next year. I have a couple of small suspension chores on the Mystique to do. I will run it again next year as well as the Solstice. Sounds like we all had fun which is my goal.

Back