• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

I'm probably an idiot

schismatized

New CEG'er
I can't get the stupid drums off! I pulled out the rubber plug. Now, I stick a screwdriver in there but a forward motion does nada. zilch. What am I doing wrong? Can someone post pics as to where exactly I am supposed to put the screwdriver?

You're not an idiot. The adjuster on contour drum brakes was designed by satan himself.

It has a sort of ratcheting motion to it. Play around with it, or just pry the hell out of the drum with a crowbar.

If you're replacing the brake components anyway, you could always cut the hold-down pins from the back with dykes and that would allow the shoes to back off. Also, expect the adjuster mechanism to fall apart and never work again. Wait till you see inside that thing! You'll wish upon the person who designed it a painful lingering death.

Sorry if I only made your situation worse...

Thanks for the help, but I am still a little fuzzy on what exactly has a ratcheting motion. All I can see through the hole is the shoe, and I have already beat that to hell trying to get it off.

Whack away on the outside of the drum with a hammer. Keep beating it all the way around, sometimes it gets stuck.

alright this weekend I am going to knock those suckers off and swap for some cougar rear discs. I found them for $25 a wheel!

Back