• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Removing Rusted Bolts

Matt R

Hard-core CEG'er
What's everyone's method? The underside of my car, especially in the rear, has tons of rust, and most of the bolts/nuts have virtually welded themselves to the frame with rust. I'm trying to get the bolt out of the bracket holding the rear sway bar bushing in. I've tried a set of Craftsman damaged nut removers, and I tired an easy out. Neither worked. PB blaster didn't help either.

I usually hit 'em with pb blaster 2 or 3 times an hour then let 'em soak for a while. If that doesn't work, time for heat... :D

why not just do both before hand?

I would rather just heat something up and use PB blaster at the same time rather then trying one, striping out the bolt, then being screwed.

Hmm, well sounds like it's time to buy a propane torch. I'm a little weary of using fire right next to the gas tank though.

For rusted bolts I've used those propane torch bottles from Home Depot. You can get in some tight places with those.

I usually hit the bolts with PB the week before the job.

Hmm, well sounds like it's time to buy a propane torch. I'm a little weary of using fire right next to the gas tank though.

If you can smell gas down there, I'd be weary. If not, no big deal, just proceed with caution. I had a torch about two inches from a Bronco gas tank for a while but I didn't blow up. Just watch where you put the flame.

Whacked them with a hammer, and the underside of the car just rained rust and sand on my face.

I can't really smell gas very much down there... a tiny tiny little bit, probably from the filling nozzle. As far as I know, there isn't any holes or problems with the tank.

fire, WD40, this neat tool my father has that you put a socket on then hit with a hammer.

worse case scenario you could always mix some powdered aluminum and iron oxide, put it in a small clay pot on the bolt and ignite it with a sparkler.

Last edited:
i usually go thro a long process till something works...not in any particular order...

PB blaster,heat,nifty "rouded-off"bolt sockets,hammer,bigger hammer,vise grips(works more often than you would think),easy out, drill it out, hacksaw(cut a grove and use a flat blade screwdriver), anything else i find handy, and of course the most important part; cursing, a lot of loud cursing...this is probably the most helpful tool of all! it helps delay the ring indent like the one on my F150 fender..still there from like 6yrs ago:laugh:

For something really important, like some Mercedes exhaust manifold bolts once, I make a well around it with clay or something and keep it soaked for weeks with aerokroil or whatever.

If gravity won't allow a well, a small tube placed to drop your choice of rust loosening liquid on it every minute or so. For a long time. Worked for me.

Mike

I haven't personally tried it, but I saw on DIY Network the other night if you put a few drops of peroxide on it, it loosens right up.

sears sells a nice Mapp Gas kit with a hose and nozzle.
makes life real easy when trying to get the flame in a tight spot.

Back