• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Window help - clicking

arin

CEG'er
Well, my driver side window has been acting weird. Sometimes when I try and put it back up it starts going auto down and then gets stuck in the down position. When its stuck and you press the button theres a clicking coming from a box in the door near the speaker(towards front).

I have the panel off right now, is this the regulator? Right next to speaker.. Am I going to have to replace it?

EDIT: Also, I can see light scratchs on my window... Is that from the weather stripping? The end of the stripping has like carbon buildup or something and its all messed up. The stripping easy to replace?

Last edited:
I have the EXACT same problem. Have you recently washed the car? Mine only seems to do it after a good wash. Once it dries out it works fine.

Try this

Try this

I had this same problem a couple months ago but mine didn't work at all. Then I bought a new motor for it and it worked for a few weeks and then I got the same sound you did a clicking noise. The only way it worked was when I took out the master switch and twisted it to the left or right and the window would go up, so I knew there was a short somewhere and never had time during the winter to look for it. So this spring I went on eBay and just bought the master switch. It ended up working and I haven't had a problem yet. :)

Well, I have two parts listed as culprits... How do I know which one it is and which one I'm replacing? What's the part that is towards the front of the door beyond speaker?

I have a 1998 with the auto-down feature and have the same clicking issue. I did locate a new switch which did NOT solve the issue. There is a "relay" that is inside the door and I am waiting for that part at the Ford garage. Sure would like to find a way to bypass this auto-down stuff.

Will advise when the part arrives and I can get it installed.

Russ

sorry for the bump on this old post. Mine does the same thing only worse now. I played with it 20 mins the other day before it went up. Then i rolled it down and up immediately after like 20 times in a row with no problem! Anyone have the definitive fix for this?

Thanks!!

its either the switch itself that shorted or it is the relay that controls auto down. I had the same problem on my 96 mystique and it was solved by replacing the ds switch that would be the big one with all the controls. if they try to sell you a motor tell them to piss off, it wont fix it. either a switch or a relay, although a relay malfunction is not very ordinary. also I stand behind ford motocraft parts and from what I discovered from the exam of my old car is that a pin got pushed in on the harness. basically a whole lot of trouble for a little stupid fixable thing. thats my 2 cents

Back