• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Windshield wiper arms stuck on car?

Bozack

CEG'er
So I was going to try and check my cabin filter today, had it replaced ages ago by the dealership but figured it might be time for a replacement...but my windshield wiper arms are frozen on the car...makes me wonder if the dealership even bothered doing it the last time.

Any idea on how to get these things off without killing them? I was going to try WD 40 or something but didnt know if anyone had better ideas? thanks

------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, figured out you don't need to remove them to do this but now I find I don't have a torx that size for the lower mounts...oh well guess I have to buy more tools.

Last edited:
you don't need to remove the wipers to change the cabin air filter .... unless you really want to remove the whole cowl ....

use a propane torch and keep it on there nice and long. then wiggle or pry it off. i use the old prpane torch to loosen rusted/corroded bolts and so far always worked. they probably got seized cause the arm where it attaches to the shaft is aluminum, and the shaft is steel. i had my chrome plated aluminum rims get stuck to my rotors because of this. put antiseize on the shafts before you put them back on. Also dont let the flame get too close to the glass because it will crack it.

use a propane torch and keep it on there nice and long. then wiggle or pry it off. i use the old prpane torch to loosen rusted/corroded bolts and so far always worked. they probably got seized cause the arm where it attaches to the shaft is aluminum, and the shaft is steel. i had my chrome plated aluminum rims get stuck to my rotors because of this. put antiseize on the shafts before you put them back on. Also dont let the flame get too close to the glass because it will crack it.

no need, just wiggle them back and forth and they will come free ....

------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, figured out you don't need to remove them to do this but now I find I don't have a torx that size for the lower mounts...oh well guess I have to buy more tools.

don't need a torx for those screws, you can use a flat blade screw driver just fine ...

as said above, just wiggle.. the shaft is strong enough to take it. Its just that "feels like I am going to break the whole thing" feeling when you're wiggling and prying.

They'll pop off, if you want them off, but you didn't need to as you already saw.

The instructions I've seen specify a small puller like a small gear puller, I think they called it a wiper arm puller or something like that. Just keep soaking them also with pb blaster or wd40 etc.

Mike

.....but my windshield wiper arms are frozen on the car...makes me wonder if the dealership even bothered doing it the last time.

Any idea on how to get these things off without killing them? I was going to try WD 40 or something but didnt know if anyone had better ideas? thanks
Make sure you removed the nuts which holds the windshield wiper "axle"s before you try the above suggestions. This is where the wipers sit on. If you didn't, well......

I just did mine today... Exact same thing happened. I couldn't budge those wipers. After some fiddling, I figured out you didn't need to remove them. :blackeye:
Wow, the old one though.... :troutslap: I don't think any of the previous owners ever changed it.
Erick --

Back