• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Road salt in my engine bay...

Lord Stanley

Hard-core CEG'er
How do I get all of the salt off the metal lines (like brake and fuel) in my engine bay? I tried pouring (do not take that word like I dumped a gallon of water on my engine :rolleyes:) water on them, but the salt will not budge...

So what can I do? I can not reach the lines beind the engine with my hands to rub them off... Would a garden hose and nossel work? I do not want to screw up my engine by getting anything wet that I should not, LOL...

I'd use some sort of degresser, Thats all we use at work to clean up dirty engine bays and they usually clean up nice

when my engine bay gets dirty I go to autozone and get a bottle of Simple Green Automotive degreaser, coat the engine bay in that stuff (along with coving the air filter and anything electrical with a plastic bag), and rinse off, allow to air dry for several hours.

when my engine bay gets dirty I go to autozone and get a bottle of Simple Green Automotive degreaser, coat the engine bay in that stuff (along with coving the air filter and anything electrical with a plastic bag), and rinse off, allow to air dry for several hours.

Thats what I do, then I buy some turtle wax tire shine and spray the engine bay with it and it looks like new! Good luck.

Back