• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

heres an interesting one for you (A/C issue)

AliasJerk

Addicted CEG'er
so today it actually got warm enough for me to test out the A/C in the SVT, I was outside changing the DPFE sensor I figured I probably should go over all of the other basic things while I had the hood opened.

I noticed, that when I turn the A/C on, the car "blips" the gas pedal every 4-5 seconds, and its not just like a surging idle, we are talking like... if im coasting in 4th gear down the road, foot off the gas, the car literally accelerates 1-2 miles per hour from the A/C "Surge" OH, and the A/C didnt get cold.

What do you guys think? my first thought was the A/C clutch is gone, because for one, I didnt hear the A/C engage, and for two, normally the motor is suppose to have a "surge" to it, and as soon as it has that "surge" the A/C clutch engages, which it doesnt.

Last edited:
You could also have just looked at the clutch itself to see if its spinning, still, or dragging (spinning, but very slowly in comparison to the engine/belt speed)

I would think, preliminarily, that you were low on charge, though the status of the clutch would help as well.

Mine did this once over the years. The compressor relay had bad contacts. When the compressor fails to cycle the computer turns the circuit off and then tries it again and again. Part of that cycle is increased idle speed to compensate for the load of the compressor.
Another thing that happend to mine is a bad cycle switch - located on top of the receiver/drier. It didn't keeping the compressor running long enough so the system never got cool enough even though it was fully charged. Replacing it cooled things down quite a bit!

Surging when A/C is on

Surging when A/C is on

I just picked this car up 3/01/09 with 168k (near showroom condition)

With a minor exception, I too have having the same issue... Engine surging only while A/C is on. The exception is that the surging is only noticeable (and very noticeable at that) when under load (55 - 80mph)

It appears to be described well in initial post. What I describe it as, the TPS being toast when trying to use cruise control.

So, which of the sensors, switches, or clutch should I be looking at...???

95 2.0 Ztec MTX 181k (yup, 3 months, 13k on it already...)

Back