• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

P1000 code & SMOG

Man, I'm sorry I'm so late but putting those O2's back in is not going to help. You need to get it to clear the EVAP monitor since your EGR is turned off.

I suspect that with certain items in the drive cycle "turned off" the OBD II system may NEVER be able to complete testing all components, and therefore the P1000 code may NEVER go away.
This is correct.

Who are these ppl?
I'm one of them. Did it with my last three cars. All had the P1000 due to an incomplete EGR monitor.

Man, I'm sorry I'm so late but putting those O2's back in is not going to help. You need to get it to clear the EVAP monitor since your EGR is turned off.

This is correct.

I'm one of them. Did it with my last three cars. All had the P1000 due to an incomplete EGR monitor.

hey sic, thanx. the egr is already turned on actually. its the downstream 02s that were turned off. so u also passed smog even with the p1000?

Yeah - my 00 Focus, my 05 Focus and my 98 Contour all passed with the P1000 from an incomplete EGR monitor.

The P1000 just indicates that the PCM has not completed all the system monitors, it's not really a trouble code.

Yeah - my 00 Focus, my 05 Focus and my 98 Contour all passed with the P1000 from an incomplete EGR monitor.

The P1000 just indicates that the PCM has not completed all the system monitors, it's not really a trouble code.

true. but my car won't pass smog if it never completes the cycles. here r the 3 incomplete cycles on the car;
-OBD cat
-egr
-evap
am not sure if i solved the egr one yet as i havnt gone back to the smog test booth to try again. all i did was turn it back on. no trouble codes tho. so am assuming i have the 2 left. i could erase the obd cat code by turning the down 02s back on, right? thats what i think anyway.

according to comments posted by you n others, i should be able to pass smog even without completing the egr and evap monitors. thats why i'm leaning towards the downstreams. they're the only things that changed.

Last edited:
true. but my car won't pass smog if it never completes the cycles. here r the 3 incomplete cycles on the car;
-OBD cat
-egr
-evap
am not sure if i solved the egr one yet as i havnt gone back to the smog test booth to try again. all i did was turn it back on. no trouble codes tho. so am assuming i have the 2 left. i could erase the obd cat code by turning the down 02s back on, right? thats what i think anyway.
My bad, I didn't see the OBD cat monitor incomplete. So yeah, turning the downstream O2's back on should allow it to complete that monitor, and having your EGR working again will allow the EGR monitor to complete. Even if the EVAP monitor is not completed when you return for your emissions, with the EGR & cat monitors completed, and no real trouble codes, you'll pass.

My bad, I didn't see the OBD cat monitor incomplete. So yeah, turning the downstream O2's back on should allow it to complete that monitor, and having your EGR working again will allow the EGR monitor to complete. Even if the EVAP monitor is not completed when you return for your emissions, with the EGR & cat monitors completed, and no real trouble codes, you'll pass.

thanx. i hope so.(crosses fingers)... now where are those sensors?:idea:

dont forget that if you dont have cats you will need to install MIL eliminators or you will through a code for cat inefficiency and you will fail the emissions test.

well, as self dubbed enforcer of troubleshootn thread follow-up,:laugh: i figured i'd post this as my problem has been solved. i did put back the downstream O2 sensors. however, i put 'em AFTER the MAIN cat. the wires just had to be extended all the way back there. Didn't need MILS too. Anywayz, long story short, theres still no CEL. the P1000 remains on tho. Regardless, i was able to pass smog because i only had 2 incomplete monitors, as the OBD CAT cycle is now complete, leaving the other two.

Back