• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Duratec - changed plugs/wires won't start

ahass

Be Gentle I'm New Here
My 98 Sport with 2.5L DOHC was bucking a little, and the mechanic said the plug and wires looked like they were about ready to change so I did it myself (like I did last time just fine). Replaced with what was recommended at AutoZone. Well, it started, ran really rough, got it from the shop to garage but the next morning it would NOT start.

To test I put the old wires back on and still nothing. Blaming AutoZone, I went to Ford and got OEM plugs/wires and just put them on. Thing STILL won't even begin to start.

I'm at a loss. The only thing I can think of is in changing the wires around I screwed up the cylinder number or something. As I see, with the front of the car at the bottom of the page it is

Cab
radiator

Did I mix something up like an idiot, or what would cause it to go from a slight buck, to running rough right after changing wires/plugs, to not starting the next day?

THANKS in advance.

Coilpack
Cab
radiator

Engine
Cab
radiator

Where did you get that firing order from? LMFAO!

Thanks, as you were posting I had found another source indicating that and was out trying it. My hunch was right, I AM an idiot.

I even drew a diagram when disassembling and managed to screw up....

That's the dumbest mechanical screwup I've done to date...

Thanks!

Back