• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

For those with fuel related no start issues...

Yesterday I was at a stoplight and the car began to stumble, hesitate, and putting. Before the light turned green it died. I got out, pushed it to the side of the road, and popped the hood to look for anything unusual. Nothing looked out of place so the next thing I checked was the fuel cut off switch. It was not popped up but just for good measure I popped it up and tried to start the car. It started right up and it ran for a couple of mins then it started stumbling again, and eventually died. I tried to start it again but it would just turn but wouldn't turn over. I pushed the switch back down and it started right up and ran for about 30 seconds and then the symtoms returned. I ended up getting the car towed home. Once I was at home I started to mess around with the switch some more and it turned out that whenever I tapped on the switch a couple of times the symtoms cleared up for a few mins and then returned. So this morning I went to the junkyard and got another switch and so far so good. The car has been running smooth for about 30 mins with no issues. I'll update the thread if I have further problems. Just wanted to put this out there for the sake of searches and anyone else that is having the same type of problem.

Last edited:
Where exactly is the fuel cut off switch? And when was the last time you checked your fuel pump sock and changed the fuel filter.

Update!

Update!

So just when I thought my problems were solved I find out that it was not the switch after all. The car died on me a couple of times yesterday, so I took it to the shop before work this morning. They told me that the fuel pump was loosing pressure once it warmed up and that was the reason for the stumbling and dying. Sounded about right to me because that explained why whenever I tapped the fuel shut off switch to trip it and reset it the pump was shut off and then turned back on. I have had the pump replaced once under warranty a few years and over 100,000 miles ago. From what I understand this pump is the updated revised model and the shop told me that they had to change something else in the bottom of the tank where it mounts or something. While they are in there I told them to change the sock filter. To answer your question about the out of tank fuel filter, I have changed it every 15,000-20,000 miles or so after the first fuel pump.

.... While they are in there I told them to change the sock filter. ...
You need to throw away the internal sock filter, not replace it. The sock filter is the cause of your problems. The sock filter is not necessary for the proper functioning of the engine.

Well they had to keep it overnight because he broke the clip that fastens the filler neck to the tank. The part will there via napa in the morning so I will try to tell him to leave the sock filter off. Is it safe to have just the out of tank filter?

It has a sock filter on the pump as it is. 3 is overkill. Just should have done the SVT Focus pump mod that's in the FAQ. Cost you only $100.

Well I thought about that but I was pressed for time so I just took it to the shop and paid alot more than $100 lol. I needed to get my car back on the road as soon as possible because I use it for work as well as school. Problem is that now I notice that I'm getting hesitation up untill 3500 rpms or so. I'm taking the car back in the morning because I'm sure its directly related to the fuel pump. My car didn't hesitate before the new pump, so I'm thinking the new one is defective. The pump was new from the stealership. Is it possible to have a new pump thats defective?

Its possible but its more possible that they put the same old fuel pump sock back on the new one and its restricting your flow again.

Back