• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

MPG's way too low for a 38000 mile car ????

as far as the MAF cleaning goes, I've used the CRC MAF cleaner and it works really well. But If i am correct, you're not supposed to use intake cleaner on a maf. I may be wrong. just my .02

To hook up a scanner is fool proof. There us a plug by the fuse box that they hook up to, turn the key to the lock position, and then it scans. Simple as that.

First, regarding career mechanics not wanting to give you some help, no one is going to tell you much without doing some diagnostics first. Did they offer to do that or did you just want the information for free? There are any number of things that can cause poor gas mileage and you might get the same number of answers (guesses) from the pros, just like you are here, without doing the diagnostics. If you asked at a Ford dealer, you might have cut down the list to the more logical things that could be the problem but they’d still rather run a diagnostic to be sure. I still think you should run a compression test first to make sure you have a sound platform to start with and low compression isn’t going to show up on the diagnostic scanner. Neither will a gummed up intake manifold which would be my second suspect if I were going to guess. :blackeye:
Karl

First, regarding career mechanics not wanting to give you some help, no one is going to tell you much without doing some diagnostics first. Did they offer to do that or did you just want the information for free? There are any number of things that can cause poor gas mileage and you might get the same number of answers (guesses) from the pros, just like you are here, without doing the diagnostics. If you asked at a Ford dealer, you might have cut down the list to the more logical things that could be the problem but they’d still rather run a diagnostic to be sure. I still think you should run a compression test first to make sure you have a sound platform to start with and low compression isn’t going to show up on the diagnostic scanner. Neither will a gummed up intake manifold which would be my second suspect if I were going to guess. :blackeye:
Karl

I will be inquiring at a dealer that did work on my E250 work van. As for the mechanics ive already spoke to when they hear theres no check engine light they usually say well the computers seeing what it needs to see and thats all the mpg's i should expect. None said bring it in and ill run tests a-z, they only agreed with suggestions i made based on tips from this forum. I shouldnt have to pay them in advance with out knowing what steps they would take to diagnose a problem. I wish i didnt have too guess, but putting it in the dealer will be the absolute last resort (they charged nearly a $1000 for an alternator, battery and two $7 dollar headlights on my van) ($1800+ for cats and thats aftermarket) There's nothing wrong with free info. If the compression was low what could I do? i will be cleaning the intake. Ill be starting the work tommorow. Thanks

There's nothing wrong with free info. If the compression was low what could I do? i will be cleaning the intake. Ill be starting the work tommorow. Thanks
Yes, there's nothing wrong with free info but put yourself in the mechanic's shoes and decide how much time you'd want to spend doling it out when you could be spending that time on a paying ticket. That's all I'm saying. Go ahead and clean the intake and you can run the compression check at the same time. Post the compression numbers and then we can go on from there.
Karl

I live on long island New York (suffolk county).
Today I replaced the ect sensor, cleaned the throttle body, cleaned the pcv filter, cleaned the idle air control, replaced the air filter, Cleaned the MAF sensor, regapped the plugs they were gapped .045 but the haynes manual said.050 so thats what i set them too, raised rear wheels to check for dragging brakes but they werent. I was going tochange the intake air sensor, and the temp sender but the guy gave me the parts fo a 98 by mistake. I disconnected the battery to "reset" the computer, and put a large bottle of Techron and filled her up Regular $3.69 gal.
Ill have a better idea if any of this made a difference in my mpg's once i run thorough a tank full

I live on long island New York (suffolk county).
Today I replaced the ect sensor, cleaned the throttle body, cleaned the pcv filter, cleaned the idle air control, replaced the air filter, Cleaned the MAF sensor, regapped the plugs they were gapped .045 but the haynes manual said.050 so thats what i set them too, raised rear wheels to check for dragging brakes but they werent. I was going tochange the intake air sensor, and the temp sender but the guy gave me the parts fo a 98 by mistake. I disconnected the battery to "reset" the computer, and put a large bottle of Techron and filled her up Regular $3.69 gal.
Ill have a better idea if any of this made a difference in my mpg's once i run thorough a tank full

keep us posted.

I would like to point out, also, that my recent alignment DEFINITELY made a difference in gas mileage. About +2 mpg and my alignment wasn't even off that badly :shrug:. Just something else to check out, ya know?

Back