• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Oil in the intake manifold

PurpleMystique

Hard-core CEG'er
I pulled my IAC valve and intake off, opened up the throttle body and stuck a shop towel into the UIM, and this is what it came out looking like. I'm guessing this shouldn't happen.

n16908665_36568138_3425.jpg

'01 Taurus 3.0, oval port UIM and LIM, 2.5 valve covers, eBay intake

Suggestions?

Some sludge build up in the intake manifold is normal. That's one of the reasons for the need to clean the throttle body and IAC from time to time. From your pictures, I cannot tell if what you are showing is normal.

If you feel it is abnormal, start by checking the PCV system to make sure it is properly evacuating the blow-by fumes.

Any chance that someone's done a writeup on that?

New member here so sorry if I step on anyones toes. When was the last time you shook the pcv valve to test it or just replaced it? Have you considered making an oil catch can to see if you can filter out any oily blowby?

I pulled my IAC valve and intake off, opened up the throttle body and stuck a shop towel into the UIM, and this is what it came out looking like.

welcome to owning a duratec ;)

it is actually hard to tell if that is too much, but really when i cleaned mine back in the day it was pretty nasty in there... just gotta clean them regularly. people install catch-cans from what I remember, maybe you could too.

Last edited:
welcome to owning a duratec ;)

it is actually hard to tell if that is too much, but really when i cleaned mine back in the day it was pretty nasty in there... just gotta clean them regularly. people install catch-cans from what I remember, maybe you could too.

Well this was just dabbing a shop towel in the bottom of the intake...liquid had pooled up in there, and it's been less than 1500 miles since I last cleaned it out.

Back