• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Growl when driving on center?

detroitiron2000

New CEG'er
My car (2000 CSVT) is making a growl :mad: sound when driven on center or curving/turning left. When curving/turning right the sound goes away completely and the only sound you hear is the sweet purr of the motor. The sound makes me think of gears meshing - the only way I can think to describe it. When I had my son drive it and stood outside the car I can't hear it but when inside the car it is very obvious. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks, Don

Gears mashing? Is it more of a moan/drone like noise? It sounds like a bad wheel bearing on your front passenger side wheel... When the car turns left, more pressure is put on the bearing making the noise louder, and when the car turns right the pressure is relieved making the noise go away...

Time to do the o'clock test :laugh:

Jack the car up
Grasp the wheel at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock and check for movement
If movement, then you have wheel bearing problem.

Grasp the wheel at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock and check for movement
If movement, then you have a tie-rod problem.

most likely a wheel bearing as stated ...

^what he said^

sounds exactly like a wheel bearing.

If it groans more when you make a left turn, its your right bearing, if it groans more when you make a right turn, its your left bearing

Did the O'Clock Test

Did the O'Clock Test

Well, when I did the O'Clock Test I had movement indicating wheel bearing so this weekend it gets new wheel bearings.

Thanks for all the help!

If your looking for bearings for a do-it yourself job, contact Bagged. He has some available for your SVT, and at a fair price too. He will sell you the whole knuckle, so you don't have to have a shop press out and in the new bearings. You can do it in your driveway with the knuckles.

Back