• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Summer time coming...

schismatized

New CEG'er
...And the AC is dead! I took it to a mechanic the other day, and I was told that my system has only .22 lb of R134a in it. He quoted me $120 to evacuate the system and refill it, with some dye additive also. I don't believe there is any real leak because he would have offered to fix it right then... It was hooked up to some monitoring machine for about an hour.

My question is this: If I rent the gauge kit, vacuum, and UV equipment, will it be possible for me, an amateur, to evac/replenish the system? How many cans of refrigerant would it take? I can rent all the equipment for free so I believe it will be cheaper to do it myself.

EDIT: Whoops wrong forum. Don't know how to move it to troubleshooting...

Last edited:
yes you can do it at home with the correct tools and back ground knowledge. Thank you for realizing that you need the correct tools to service the a/c system. To many just buy the R-134a cans from wal-mart with the built in guage and think that they can fill the system ....

anyway if the system is empty there is a most likely a leak. Check the accumulator under the battery as they have foam on them and tend to rust out.

you will also want to add some oil to the system when you fill it. It should take about 2 12 oz cans of r-134a if empty. remember you need to fill based on the pressures in the system based on ambient temp.

Alright so I will check the accumulator. Can I buy refrigerant that has oil in it or do I need to buy a certain type?

Alright so I will check the accumulator. Can I buy refrigerant that has oil in it or do I need to buy a certain type?
If you suspect you have a pinhole leak, I suggest you pick up a Interdynamics Artic Freeze recharge kit from Advance or Autozone (about $30). It has a gauge dispenser, UV penlight, one can (11 oz?) of refrigerant with UV dye, sealant and oil, and another can (12 oz?) of refrigerant with sealant and oil.

I just had to do mine two weeks ago. At 12 years old, I guess it was time for a recharge. It was still blowing cold air two days ago.

Edit.
http://www.id-usa.com/product.asp?CID=27&PID=225

Last edited:

i do believe most will have some in it. but if you check out the Ford service manual the accumulator holds a certain amount of oil and that needs to be replaced when the accumulator is replaced.

as for what brand is best, I have only really seen Interdynamics at wal-mart, autozone, etc...

Back