• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

will EGR kill the power?

kiter

New CEG'er
Right now my EGR will not open i do not know why yet!Wich one is better ,make it work and let the exhoust gas go into the intake or let it not to open?Do wee need as much O2 as we can for the burning and cold air right.If i let the warm exhoust gas in the intake i will reduce both right.The othr question !I want to fix it anyway i have checked the EGR solenoid works ,pressure sensor works ,Egr passage clean and works to.The EGR solenoid will not switch to let vacum to egr .Can someone tell me wich wire what do if i check multimeter?I have 2 wires at solenoid ,what volt suppose go trough wich wire ,i have i1 12 volt the other one i do not know( i assume it should switch to ground )that is where i am stuck ,i think something not right at that point.Sorry for english i am from EU.

Right now my EGR will not open i do not know why yet!Wich one is better ,make it work and let the exhoust gas go into the intake or let it not to open?Do wee need as much O2 as we can for the burning and cold air right.If i let the warm exhoust gas in the intake i will reduce both right.The othr question !I want to fix it anyway i have checked the EGR solenoid works ,pressure sensor works ,Egr passage clean and works to.The EGR solenoid will not switch to let vacum to egr .Can someone tell me wich wire what do if i check multimeter?I have 2 wires at solenoid ,what volt suppose go trough wich wire ,i have i1 12 volt the other one i do not know( i assume it should switch to ground )that is where i am stuck ,i think something not right at that point.Sorry for english i am from EU.

there is a good chance your EGR isnt functioning properly because the passages on your throttle body are clogged with carbon, in fact, if you have never done a UIM cleaning I bet thats what your issue is, pull off your throttle body (be careful with your gasket so you can reuse it) and look around for carbon deposits, get some carb cleaner and a wirebrush to clean it all off.

and yes, an EGR code will affect fuel economy and power because the car is in limp mode.

there is a good chance your EGR isnt functioning properly because the passages on your throttle body are clogged with carbon, in fact, if you have never done a UIM cleaning I bet thats what your issue is, pull off your throttle body (be careful with your gasket so you can reuse it) and look around for carbon deposits, get some carb cleaner and a wirebrush to clean it all off.

and yes, an EGR code will affect fuel economy and power because the car is in limp mode.
I have described it is clean .Right now i am stuck at why the solenoid will not switch i think the wires are not right.The pressure sensore work i reead the right volt when i apply vacum but somehow the solenoid will not operate but if i pull the wires off and give 12 v it works.I have tested the solenoid connector and i read 12 volt on one side nothing on the other but i think this is not right .I have purchased this car used and it has beed worked on i can see .i just want ot know vhat i suppose to read with volt meter on the solenoid connector.

Well it sounds to me like you unplugged the connector and checked voltage, correct? That is wrong, what you need to do is get yourself a bobby pin and backprobe the connector(plugged in) and see what kind of reading you get then. If you unplugged it then you created an open in the circuit and will see source voltage. Another test you can do is check the resistance in the solenoid's coil. Unplug the solenoid and check the OHMs of it. Not quite sure of the specs.

You won't gain or lose top end power by leaving your EGR closed (as long as it's running correctly) because the EGR only opens at cruising speeds. At WOT the EGR stays shut. At least that's my understanding.

You won't gain or lose top end power by leaving your EGR closed (as long as it's running correctly) because the EGR only opens at cruising speeds. At WOT the EGR stays shut. At least that's my understanding.

I always thought the EGR opened on deceleration only. :shrug:

I know its been discussed before. I believe Rara or Demon made a comment about it.

EGR is used at cruise, basically any light to mid throttle usage, but at WOT it shuts off to allow maximum power. Basically, disabling EGR (even when done properly) does nothing but make your gas mileage worse.

Awesome guys thanks for fast reply!BUT !Here what i did till now.Solenoid checked with 12v works sucking air from EGR valve.cleaned passage on egr way so when i open EGR valve the car stalls as should .Here what i am not sure the pressure sensor volt reading ,i leave the connector on the sensor .What should i read from the top wire to down?The car runs perfect no issue today i have driven about 90 miles without CEL come on .I just want to sell my car and do not want to sell with CEL on.

Last edited:
Deleting the EGR requires altering the tune. To partially compensate for the EGR, ignition timing is increased. Just deleting the EGR will be less than optimal for timing, and can lead to pinging or at least to the knock sensor subtracting timing, and probably subtracting too much.

The wire you're asking about goes to the PCM, which supplies the ground to operate the solenoid. There is not a voltage spec for the ground side of the circuit. Resistance spec of the solenoid is between 26 & 40 ohms.

Sea foam.... best cleaner i've ever used. try it. it'll clean ur intake out right away.

not NEARLY as well as a UIM rebuild, it works fine on a zetec because zetec's dont have the carbon buildup issues that the duratec has, but the duratec really needs a wire brush to clean the carbon build up off of the UIM and intake manifolds, I helped starjammir do a UIM rebuild on his Girlfriend's cougar, took us half an hour a 2 cans of pressurized chemtool to clean off the carbon by hand

Back