• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Inner Tie Rod Removal

CSVT_2004

Hard-core CEG'er
I'm told it can be done without removing the rack and pinion.... so I got a inner tie rod tool, ordered my tie rod... looks easy according to my diagram... the new part looks just like the 1st picture, but my car doesn't agree with that...

Inned%20Tie%20Rod.JPG

Inned%20Tie%20Rod.JPG

but... this is what I find.... (click for larger pictures)

So as you can see the inner tie rod is in fact not channeled or grooved in anyway for a wrench to properly twist it.... I hit it with some propane to see if maybe there was some lock tight holding but no go.... I really don't want to remove the rack.... any ideas on getting this out would be nice... not really any good space in there to wrench on it with either... kinda out ideas for the time being....

Last edited:
There is a tool to remove these. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Multi-Purpose-Inner-Tie-Rod-End-Remover-Installer-Tool_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247QQcategoryZ35625QQihZ015QQitemZ250230450253QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V
Most racks come with this type of inner tie rod. Another option is to weld it at the joint, that's what most garages do. Final option, dremell the channels in it to match your tool, real pita due to access.

Sweet, thanks man!!! Did some looking and I think fastenal carries one which I could get locally and not have to wait to have shipped!!!

Back