• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

2.5 operation temp

If it's over the M and drops/rises drops (regulates), that's fine. Some OBD II code scanners can read the actual temperature (mine can't). Maybe someone could try it?

ok mabey this will help mabey not, the OEM thermostat is rated at 180 degrees F, so the normal should be just under that, i would think:shrug:

no way to tell really unless you have a water temp guage or a scan tool. remember the guages are not calibrated per say .... all my families duratec have the temp guage sit about 1/4 of the way up the guage, so about O and they range temp from 190 to 212 like they should. Now my SVT sits right in the middle but also cools correctly and the temps run between 190 and 212.

um, ok...autozone has 180 listed as OEM for duratecs:shrug:

:nonono:

you need to read more .... I just looked at autozone .... all the ones in store list 180 degrees, the ones not available in store are 192 ...

and look at this note

Note:
clearpixel.gif
High temp-192 degree
clearpixel.gif
Original equipment temperature.

sure seems that 190 is the correct one ....

here is another note:

Note:
clearpixel.gif
Med temp-180 degree

here is also another one ...

Note:
clearpixel.gif
Med temp-180 degree
clearpixel.gif
Alternate temperature

hmmm partsamerica.com lists the motorcraft thermostat at 190 degrees ....

lets see napaonline.com like partsamerica.com says OEM is 188 degrees and 180 is the alternate temp ....

the stock thremostat is suppose to be 190 degrees.

Last edited:
my 3L sits right at 190~195 while cruising on the highway and doesn't go above 212. the 2.5L shouldn't be much different. In fact my temp guage on the dash reads the same as when I had the 2.5L in the car

Last edited:
http://www.autozone.com/N,16300047/shopping/partTypeResultSet.htm

is says med-temp 180 oem

and high-temp 190 oem

and really who want their aluminum heads run hot? most people want them to stay as cool as possible:shrug:

problem with your link, it comes up with my inputted cars and what I saw ....

you want the correct thermostat so that the car warms up correctly and will use the correct amounts of fuel. if you let it run to cold your goign to be to rich. modern cars need to run around 200 degrees ...

yes i understand that, i just don't get why if u have an option, would anyone want to have a higher temp:shrug: i mean is 180 just too cold or something?

The cooling fan on my Cougar comes on at around 226°, according to my diagnostic-mode temp gauge. It only gets this hot when sitting in traffic for long periods of time, though.

well my temp gauge is broken, and i've been leaking coolant so i'm gunna be runnig my scanner, which is why i needed the numerical number so i can actually tell if it is over heating or not.

so the normal operating temp is between 190 and 212?

well my temp gauge is broken, and i've been leaking coolant so i'm gunna be runnig my scanner, which is why i needed the numerical number so i can actually tell if it is over heating or not.

so the normal operating temp is between 190 and 212?

yes, if you have a stock thermostat the temp should range from 190 to 212. The low speed fan is set to turn on at 212. I high speed would kick in around 220. So it should range between 190 and 212 degrees.

normal operating temp for ALL 4 stroke gasoline engines should be between 190 and 220 degrees Fahrenheit.

Back