• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

problem

RespectTheContour

Hard-core CEG'er
posted this in the trouble shooting section, but figured i might get a quicker response in here

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

this on has me confused, i had a kenwood deck for years...the cd player finally stopped working but the radio worked so i bought a pioneer, i have power to the new deck but no tunes coming out of the speakers...i double checked all the wires and even the fuses...is there something im missing? speakers worked fine before i took out the old deck, anyone run into this problem or have a solution? thanks in advance!

does it work in radio mode? or nothing at all? i put one in my sisters intrepid a while back and had the same prob..radio worked fine tho...anyway on that car what it turned out to be was that the aftermarket head unit's output was to high for the car's factory amp...overdrive protection kicked in and cut the speakers out. her ghetto solution was to put one of those $20 wal-mart "sub" boxes in the back seat wired directly to the head unit. but i belive there is a thread somewhere that shows how to bypass the factory amp for our cars...

Factory amp takes low level input, and outputs high level to the speakers, unless your aftermarket unit is sending audio into the factory amp through RCA's you'll be sending the wrong input into the amp. If you send direct speaker (high) level output to the amp you'll be double amping a high level signal and your radio will probably be blarring at 5 instead of 20 on your volume knob. Do yourself a favor, read the sticky in the audio/video/electronics section on amp bypass, and do the amp bypass if it has not been done yet....

If your radio is not turning on at all.... check your fuses, chances are something else in the car is not working if the radio is not, like the dome light or courtsey lights for example....

Back