• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

oil filters exploding

i doubt the TPS has anything to do with the oil pressure issue. the oiling system is completely mechanical no electronic anything other than a dummy light. the only real way to fix it is to get the system flushed and check oil pressure. it is not going to be fun.

word of advise. dont look for short cuts on this one. check it out properly or you are liable to blow up your engine.

i doubt the TPS has anything to do with the oil pressure issue. the oiling system is completely mechanical no electronic anything other than a dummy light. the only real way to fix it is to get the system flushed and check oil pressure. it is not going to be fun.

word of advise. dont look for short cuts on this one. check it out properly or you are liable to blow up your engine.

my dad drove the car for 100 miles and it was fine. he played with the TPS and the second he started it up, it started happening right away. kind of odd

Only way TPS could be related is if it causes your cold idle to be extremely high, and you have a defective bypass valve. The valve is DEFINITELY sticking, but in an engine with a normal idle speed you may never notice. What's your cold idle?

i believe there was a problem with some of the '98 '99 pumps having that problem if you ran thicker oil and it got cold.

the guy was running 10w30 oil which clogged the valve. it was in extreme cold.

So would 10w30 or 10w40 would be too thick for a 2000? I dont have the car yet so I dont have the glovebox manual to give me the final say on oil weights in various temps like here in Texas.

Sounds like we are all grasping at straws talkig about the oil weight and outside air temperature.. It doesn't really matter much about the weight of the oil.. The oil pressure relief valve should open and dump excess pressure no matter what weight the oil is. I ran a straight 50 weight in my Triumph once and the oil pressure STILL never went over 55 lbs. And it didn;t matter what RPM, it stayed exactly at 50 lbs. My VW Deisel ran 80 lbs of oil pressure cold, and it certainly didn;t explode the oil filter canister.

It seems to me that the either oil pressure relief valve is not opening, or a return line to the oil pan is plugged.

i wouldnt doubt that a return line is plugged. that car was sitting for a good 7 months without it hardly being run. i just dont know how to clear them out.

in a hot climate 10W30 is ok. when it gets sold it is imperative that you change back to 5W30. also i would change that oil immediately no more arguing. if you can get a flush that should get rid of the oil blockage.

in a hot climate 10W30 is ok. when it gets sold it is imperative that you change back to 5W30. also i would change that oil immediately no more arguing. if you can get a flush that should get rid of the oil blockage.

when the oil filters explode, all of the oil is forced out of the engine immediately. my dad has changed it twice

May I ask what brand filter kept popping? My gut feeling says Fram but I'd hate to think a good Motorcraft would.

May I ask what brand filter kept popping? My gut feeling says Fram but I'd hate to think a good Motorcraft would.

5w-30 pennzoil
the car was stored all winter. it was started up once every 2-3 weeks
the first one that blew was a pennzoil, the second was a fram
the temp was around 45-50 degrees
when my dad started the car, he didnt touch the gas. not 2 seconds after the car is started, 90% of the oil is on the ground

already mentioned

Gotcha. Maybe I did catch that since I was already thinking Fram. Using a Fram is usually at least half the problem with any oil related issue and it doesnt surprise me one bit that their pressure bypass didnt kick in and let the oil pressure burst the cans.

Changed the oil or changed the filter?

Apparently both twice. :crazy:

well, we can end this thread now. the 3L is going in this weekend

After you get the 3L up and running could you tear down the old block to check for blockages or a bad pump and let us know what you find. This is one that should be brought to a conclusion. I know I'm interested in finding out what is causing them to blow.

Last edited:
After you get the 3L up and running could you tear down the old block to check for blockages or a bad pump and let us know what you find. This is one that should be brought to a conclusion. I know I'm interested in finding out what is causing them to blow.

not a problem. the 2.5 will be torn down, sandblasted, cleared, and turned into a coffee table :cool:

I don't like Frams either, but the oil filter is NOT the problem. By the way, Pennzoil filters are Fram filters painted yellow.

The problem is from a pressure relief valve in the oil pump being stuck open. It can be stuck from sludge, or from wear in the bore allowing the valve to cock to one side and bind.

Back