• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

oil filters exploding

Smalls

Addicted CEG'er
i am unable to work on the svt as its still in buffalo. my father started the car up today and it blew the oil filter to pieces. he bought another one and changed the oil. the top of the filter blew right off. now im 95% sure there is a blockage right after the filter. probably sludge that built up over this winter. anyone else ever have this happen to them? should i just blow some compressed air into the line and hope to clear it out?

i believe there was a problem with some of the '98 '99 pumps having that problem if you ran thicker oil and it got cold. the oil pressure relief spring probably got stuck. the 3L i got my pistons out of for free had the same thing. spun a main when it happened. Ford apparently put out some kind of bulletin to the dealers about it and it was a rare problem. my friend worked on the car and they checked the oil pressure on it after reinstalling a new filter and it put out 240 psi of oil pressure just before blowing that filter off. the guy was running 10w30 oil which clogged the valve. it was in extreme cold.

thats insane. i told my dad not to touch it and wait for a buddy of mine to come over there and fix it. you guys might remember what happened last time i let my dad touch my car...

IMG_0822.jpg

IMG_0818.jpg

only thing i could think to do is see if you can get an engine flush done. then use only synthetic 5W30 or 5w20 in it till you can get a new engine :D

i have a new engine in the basement. just no time to install it

BASEMENT????:shocked: you must be a big'ol boy! i lifted my 312 bare block, like 5inches and only moved to the tailgate of the truck...and i still have the hernia from that one! don't think i'd have any intrest in try'n that crap on stairs

I was puffing up filters on my 302 due to bent valves.

i pray to god that thats not the case

edit: i just talked to my dad. he drove the car around all day before he tried to fix the TPS code. he thought that he installed the shaft wrong, so he took the sensor off and reinstalled it. the second he fired it up, the first filter blew. i cant imagine how thats related to the extremely high oil pressure. this is giving me a headache

Last edited:
its not that cold in buffalo. theres gotta be some way the blown up filters and the throttle are related

What weight oil are you running?

Was the car stored for a long time, and not started?

What filter are you using and do you know if it has the relief valve in the base or the dome?

What was the temperature when your Dad started the car?

Would it be out of line to ask your Dad if he romped on the throttle right after he started the engine? :rolleyes:

Sometimes, when a car has been stored for a long period, water will accumulate in the dome of the filter if the dome is tilted down as it is on the Duratec's, remember, water is heavier then oil. If the water freezes into ice, it can block the operation of a relief valve located in the filter dome. This has been known to explode the filter can, or shred the filter media.

Gary M.

What weight oil are you running?

Was the car stored for a long time, and not started?

What filter are you using and do you know if it has the relief valve in the base or the dome?

What was the temperature when your Dad started the car?

Would it be out of line to ask your Dad if he romped on the throttle right after he started the engine? :rolleyes:

Sometimes, when a car has been stored for a long period, water will accumulate in the dome of the filter if the dome is tilted down as it is on the Duratec's, remember, water is heavier then oil. If the water freezes into ice, it can block the operation of a relief valve located in the filter dome. This has been known to explode the filter can, or shred the filter media.

Gary M.

5w-30 pennzoil
the car was stored all winter. it was started up once every 2-3 weeks
the first one that blew was a pennzoil, the second was a fram
the temp was around 45-50 degrees
when my dad started the car, he didnt touch the gas. not 2 seconds after the car is started, 90% of the oil is on the ground

Back