• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Door Switch LED's

SESportV

New CEG'er
ok quick question:
has anyone hooked a volt meter up to see what the voltage is in the door switches?

Reason I ask, i was lookin online and it seems as though the red LED's (3mm) have a lower operating voltage than others. Has anyone run into red LED's burning out in the switches? If no where did u get them and what was the forward operating voltage of them?

thats what a resistors are for ;)

in the door switches themselves it is my understanding that i didn't need resistors. When i put blue ones in my door lock and window switches i didn't need resistors......

i know in the others: rear defrost you need them

Well the door switches already have resistors although if you are putting LEDs with different voltage requirements, it may or may not work for you. I'm pretty sure everything gets like 14.2 volts or whatever it is when the car is on.

i would just replace the resistors ... head on over to oznium.com .05 a piece and get some 3mm leds

if you open up your switches you will see it will be easier then trying to remove just the led

Put 510 ohm resistors in. Trust me, I've done a ton of these. 510 ohm is the appropriate resistance for most standard LEDs. The stock resistors are 390 ohm, which is a little low, and makes the LEDs glarey.

fwiw, I was able to trim the inside of the switches with a xacto blade and cram 5mm LED's in my switches. I had to though, couldn't find any 660nm 3mm led's and I dont like that 625-630 orangish red color.

Any pics with a full Red dash and doors any one. looks like ill have to do this cause defi discontinued the gauges with the black face and green glow. so im going to with blk face a red glow. Oh and does any body know if 60mm gauges fit in the A pillar gauge pods from lotek with out having to sand too much out .

Last edited:
P1300037-1.jpg

P1300039.jpg

P1300040.jpg

0917061939.jpg

0917061925.jpg

Back