• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Good Idea for Street Racing Deterent?

Torkmonsta

CEG'er
Maybe a re-post, but I think in certain areas where there are no drag strips this may actually work. Where I live in RI the closest track is 2 hours away. I still drive it to race, I just wish more people would. Seems like every other day there is another street racing related accident, injury, death in my area. Hell, around 1AM last saturday on my way home from a friend's poker game, some punk ass kids had a street blocked off with two dumpsters and some cars just so they could street race. Build more tracks and let the cities collect revenue or just start up the crusher...this is getting rediculous

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnmjVKlCHB0&feature=related

Last edited:
I'd probably be pissed if someone crushed my car, but hey thats what you get I reckon for breaking the law and putting other peoples lives at risk!

you guys miss the point :nonono:. have an open mind to things. Im pretty sure most drag strips make money. So what he's saying would be a great idea if you guys weren't so narrow minded. :blackeye: The point is to get them off the streets. The only bad part of them racing is they are endangering other people. Now wouldn't it be a great idea for a drag strip to be built. Then they would have some place to go(and with all the laws in place, they would actually go to). This place would be safe or them to race at, the whole 9 yards or you guys can be douches and tell them they deserve it. While still giving them no other options for doing this possibly safe activity.

edit: His idea also states that the local government could make money off the drag way. which would also be good. But hey its all just wasted resources to help give these drivers a safe place race with out endangering others.

Last edited:
Jesus, that civic didn't look half bad. Build the drag strip and stop being d-bags, California.

you guys miss the point :nonono:. have an open mind to things. Im pretty sure most drag strips make money. So what he's saying would be a great idea if you guys weren't so narrow minded. :blackeye: The point is to get them off the streets. The only bad part of them racing is they are endangering other people. Now wouldn't it be a great idea for a drag strip to be built. Then they would have some place to go(and with all the laws in place, they would actually go to). This place would be safe or them to race at, the whole 9 yards or you guys can be douches and tell them they deserve it. While still giving them no other options for doing this possibly safe activity.

edit: His idea also states that the local government could make money off the drag way. which would also be good. But hey its all just wasted resources to help give these drivers a safe place race with out endangering others.

who are u talking to? one person said it was a waste of time... so shouldnt your comments be more like singular as opposed to plural?

the 3 other people commenting also supported the "thats stupid" view really. :shrug:

If someone stole a cop car and raced it, would they crush it? The whole idea of the state stealing cars from individuals.. then destroying them is just stupid. Though, I give them permission to crush that Hummer with the hydrolics.

Here is the point. Despite how many tracks there are in an area, despite the penalties for getting caught, there will always be people street racing. Here in Chicago, you have 4 drag strips within a hour to an hour and a half, but on Friday and Saturday nights there are hundreds of cars at the known racing spots.

In my mind, there are two other issues. First, the tracks aren't normally open as late as some of these people are street racing. Second, and more importantly, the tracks prices keep on going up. Some people would rather take a chance and possibly get caught than pay $40 to get into the track, in addition to the crazy gas prices to get their speed fix.

Crushing cars, stiffer penalties, etc may help decrease the numbers but it is no solution.

This is what I think, being a former street racer.

The whole street racing thing goes back way before most of us were born. Its kinda like all the middle east conflicts, it's been going on forever. Why do people do it, just to prove that they are better then any one other person. It's human nature to compete. We can only hope that those that lack common sense weed themselves out through stupid untimely deaths.

We can only hope that those that lack common sense weed themselves out through stupid untimely deaths.

Thats a good way of looking at it. :rolleyes:

Personally, my favorite is that "It is working". :nonono: Of course their gonna tell you its working, because they want it to. I know what its like to not have a track in the area. The closest one is about three hours away. I dont think that what these people are doing is ok, but at the same time, getting them pissed off isnt gonna help anymore. Thats just gonna lead to more violence.

Around here in VA, the only time that you can do open 1/4 drag racing is on every other friday night for 4 hours unless you want to drive 2+ hours.

I think that crushing the cars is ridiculous. I'm sure there are more creative ways of doing it.... plus,I think that this will lead to more police chases because people are now going to know their cars will be crushed. More police chases = more deaths, which negates the reason for crushing the cars in the first place.

IF I lived in CA and I was gonna get pulled over for street racing I would hit 60 put it in first and pop the clutch... then all they will have to crush is a body and destroyed drivetrain.

I'd find a good laywer and get their asses sued.... they'd be buying me a whole brand new skyline for some BS move like that...

Haha that's great. More power to them. Not gonna stop people from racing, but it's a hell of a punishment, better than any fine.

i dont street race nor do i believe in it but who are they to take someones car who PAYS their PERSONAL PROPERTY taxes, LICENSE and REGISTRATION not to mention all the other bs that the state and government want just to drive cars then they have the audacity to take them away and crush them!
i hope they piss off some rich kid who just goes to town on them with a legal battle!
that is the completely wrong approach! personally i think you should be able to have a street legally blocked off at certain times of the night/day when traffic is not an issue and be able to go race. given you have to sign wavers and such and maybe charge $20 a car. that doesnt seem unreasonable. instead they go and spend thousands of WASTED tax dollars to advertise their joke to "stop" street racing.
you could further the economy by allowing "closed street" street racing because it is an expensive sport in itself. look at how much more money would be spent on gas alone!

YOU CANT BEAT THEM! TRY JOINING THEM!

i dont street race nor do i believe in it but who are they to take someones car who PAYS their PERSONAL PROPERTY taxes, LICENSE and REGISTRATION not to mention all the other bs that the state and government want just to drive cars then they have the audacity to take them away and crush them!
i hope they piss off some rich kid who just goes to town on them with a legal battle!
that is the completely wrong approach! personally i think you should be able to have a street legally blocked off at certain times of the night/day when traffic is not an issue and be able to go race. given you have to sign wavers and such and maybe charge $20 a car. that doesnt seem unreasonable. instead they go and spend thousands of WASTED tax dollars to advertise their joke to "stop" street racing.
you could further the economy by allowing "closed street" street racing because it is an expensive sport in itself. look at how much more money would be spent on gas alone!

YOU CANT BEAT THEM! TRY JOINING THEM!

That is the most idiodic thing I have ever heard. First of all, someone who commits a felony can't own a gun. This is no different. Street racing (depending on the speed) can be considered a felony. Why shouldn't they take away away the car and crush it? They do the exact same thing with those felons with guns. If you break the law in such a maner, you should have your car taken because you are obviously not responsible enough to drive one. THERE ARE PLACES OUT THERE TO RACE!!! IT IS CALLED THE TRACK!!! Pay the effin' fee, wait in line and then race. Or pay the fee at SZ and go on the road track. There are so many other freakin' options out there that this shouldn't be an issue. And if someone doesn't see that and desides to break those rules, endangering everyone else on the roads at that time, they are and idiot.

And it is unreasonable to have a "Street Race" in an area of town that is designed for racing. Think of the liability of the whole thing. Some loses control and hits a building...who is responsible? The city? The car owner? The building owner because he business was located there for 20 years and then they desided that it would be a weekend drag strip? Lightposts and curbs are dangers....as are other fluids etc leaking from cars that drive there everyday.

i apologize as apparently i was not specific enough. in places where any sort of track is not within an hour or a few hours why cant people pay to hold street rallies? it is done everywhere else in the world and obviously a little common sense was forgotten when i stated close off streets for racing. this means streets that do not have major threats such as buildings and the like. i can think of a million streets like that within a half hour of my house that would be perfect for a proper rally cross event. one would have to basically sign their life away just like at an SCCA event and pay a small fee. that would save the money of having to build a track or many tracks and would ensure some level of safety. i am talking about legally organized "street" racing. sanctioned racing on closed public streets. the revenue could be through the roof and have a paramedic on call for the event. Even holding a state funded autocross/drag program and advertising that would be more useful than that worthless video. that is more likely to piss people off than help the problem. that just makes me distrust police even more because i know if it were the case around here theyd try that crap for someone spinning their tyres!

i dont mean to be aggressive about it and like i said I do not participate or do i support the act of street racing however i believe these programs are a huge waste of tax dollars for a minimal outcome. if they were to take that money and invest it in a program such as the one i am trying to explain not only would it maybe justify more strict rules for the act of street racing but it would also bring in state income AND help cut down on the act itself.

WIN WIN WIN how can you argue with that?

i have calmed down now i apologize for the previous rampage :)

Back