• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

need an advise fast

8000RPM

CEG'er
i just removed my rear passanger side strut to replace the its mount. when i took it off i noticed that one of the 10mm bolts that holds the stut at the top has stripped its threads so now i can't bolt it back up there. the bolt is fine, but the whole where it bolts seems to be completely smooth from the inside. i bough a slighly bigger bolt, hoping that i can force it in there, but it still wont grab on the threads.

does anyone have any suggestions how to put a bolt on there? would it be ok if i leave the sturt with only one of the two bolts and just forget about that? i am currently working on the car and cant get it back together. any advice is appreciated.

madman says what is best and i'm not familiar with exactly what you are talking about, BUT...can you drill a hole all the way thru wherever you are and put a nut on the other end?

good luck

mike

well i got another bolt with the same thickness but different thread size. so i was able to screw it in there. i can tell that it's not holding really tight, but it is a temporary fix. i agree with you that the best thing will be to re-rap it for a slightly bigger bolt, but it will be extremely hard to get the drill to reach all the way up there. i can hardly get my hand to that bolt. the only way is to remove the whole strut again, and even then i am not sure if space will allow.
i also tried putting a nut on the other side, like suggested above, but it's impossible. i cant reach the other end with my fingers...i can hardly even see the whole from the trunk and space is very very tight :(

Back