• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Presenting the Shiva-x....

twang

CEG'er
tah dahhhhh
shiva1nc5.jpg

shiva3un7.jpg

shiva2io2.jpg

shiva4qd0.jpg

that was before I cleaned it. don't worry it looks fine now

shiva5cm2.jpg

Thats looking through the pulled down seat.

Overall great sub so far...only listened to it for like 20 mins. Its not as "tight" as i'd like it to be...but maybe after it has some more time on it it'll be a whole different sub. Stayed up till 3 am last night working on it, and after it was all wired up and everything, it didn't work. We re-wired everything, did anything else that we thought might be the cause of it not working (by not working i mean it wasn't making noise at all) I threw down the tools and went to bed, pissed as hell. This morning when I came home i started reading the manual of my headunit...apparently there's a setting to activate the subwoofer pre amp RCA's on there. set that to "on" and voila. Cool stuff, just gotta carpet it :mad:
And a special thanks to Reverend DBZ and my friend Kotubey. This wouldn't have happened w/o em :laugh:

Last edited:
Face the sub to the rear, and push it against the wall of the trunk. That "should" eliminate the sound cancelling, and make it sound "tighter". Feel free to spin the sub around, and face it in many directions to come up with the "best sound" to you. Most people have better results when facing the sub to the rear.. thus the suggestion. The sub does look great by the way! Tempest-x shall be on its way soon for me.

shiva is a 12" right? I had two Tempest subs... powered by my punch 500a2 until I blew it (i think the amp gave out 600+wrms) so then I put the 360a2 (rated arounds 400wrms) on it, and loved it. Quality subs....

Shiva is definitely a 12" sub. This sub is the "shiva-X" which is also a 12" sub... but with XBL^2. It cranks out about 27mm xmax one way. Basically its the Brahma motor... with slightly less power handling. But you are right.. DEFINITELY awesome subs... especially for the $$

Shiva is definitely a 12" sub. This sub is the "shiva-X" which is also a 12" sub... but with XBL^2. It cranks out about 27mm xmax one way. Basically its the Brahma motor... with slightly less power handling. But you are right.. DEFINITELY awesome subs... especially for the $$

I might look into these then.

Yeah, adire went down, and Exodus Audio decided to buy out the shiva-tempest-Maelstrom subs, and upgrade them with XBL^2. Originally i wanted to get a maelstrom-X, with the presale, but shipping turned out to be over $400, with me living in hawaii. However, i'll be getting a tempest-X and running that IB. Best bang for the buck at the moment.

With great sound comes great sacrifices...
lightfoamik4.jpg

Oh well, sounds MUCH better!:laugh:

EDIT: sounded good for awhile, now of course the corner that isn't foamed it rattling

Last edited:
so how do these subs compair to like JL or Kicker etc.?

In terms of what? Bang for buck: Much better. SQ: Much better (it evens out when you get into the high quality JL's) SPL: Prolly not as much from the Shiva-X or Tempest-X. Ask Reverend DBZ, he can give you a full on explanation of why you should buy these subs, and why you're a jackass for not doing so.

so how do these subs compair to like JL or Kicker etc.?

These subs are the standard Brahma motors with 27mm xmax. It uses a smaller voice coil though, for lower power handling. Richard Clark did a comparison between the Brahma, and the w7. Both subs were at about equal, though he felt the w7 was the winner (barely). Some feel that was a biased judgement, however for the $$, you'd pay half the price of a w7 for a Brahma.

The Shiva-X and Tempest-X again, use smaller voice coils, so lower powerhandling. But in terms of SQ, i'd rate these at the same level as a w7 (may or may not be better, but definitely up there), but at UNDER $200.

Kicker, RF, MTX, etc.. etc.. can't even compare for the $$ in my opinion.

These subs are the standard Brahma motors with 27mm xmax. It uses a smaller voice coil though, for lower power handling. Richard Clark did a comparison between the Brahma, and the w7. Both subs were at about equal, though he felt the w7 was the winner (barely). Some feel that was a biased judgement, however for the $$, you'd pay half the price of a w7 for a Brahma.

The Shiva-X and Tempest-X again, use smaller voice coils, so lower powerhandling. But in terms of SQ, i'd rate these at the same level as a w7 (may or may not be better, but definitely up there), but at UNDER $200.

Kicker, RF, MTX, etc.. etc.. can't even compare for the $$ in my opinion.

Xmax isn't everything in a sub. Look at the Fi BTL. It's only, IIRC, 17 mm one way, yet demolishes just about ANY sub for output. Xmax is only part of the equation that makes a sub sound good.

For the money, you can find other good deals. PG RSDC's, CSS SDX15/10's, SSA Icon, etc. Just gotta look :)

BTW, hi guys, it's been awhile :)

Kef

Yes I agree that xmax everything in output with a sub, however It does add to the "low end" output of course. The thing about these Shiva-Tempest-Maelstrom X's that i love, is that its packed with XBL^2, and shorting rings for extremely low distortion. I won't deny that an Fi BTL would beat these in output... but we were looking at musical subs.. and bang for the buck, and thus i suggested these subs. They're under $200.. how could you go wrong?

I've checked out the CSS 15SDX. I was actually gonna go with that for my setup, but realized that it's not quite suited for my application, and therefore wentwith the tempest-x.Definitely a great option to say the least.

Welcome back.. I actually returned about a month or so ago... feels different w/out big head dave, or HTM

Last edited:
Back