• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Engine Stutter

CSVT_2004

Hard-core CEG'er
I have a 1999 CSVT with a K&N intake, 8.5mm spark plug wires, not sure on spark plugs, here's my issue.

When idling if you tromp on the gas to full throttle, the engine sounds like it dies, then revives itself and accelerates to full throttle.... but it's only during the initial gunning that the engine hesitates.... if you ease into the gas till about 1000 RPM and then gun it, she accelerates beautifully with no hesitation...

I've read that most of these issues are related to plug wires and spark plugs... does that sound like what I need to replace or is there something else I should be looking at.... I don't know if the PCM was ever reset for the new intake also...

If it was never reset, I would do that while your under the hood checking the wires. Usually hesitation is a wire issue. Are they OEM wires?

Nope, red ford racing 8.5mm wires, next time I'm out at her, I'll reset the PCM, fuses 4 & 11 under the hood right?

had the same problem with the SE and it was a carbon build up under the throttle body. do you have a cel? could be an egr problem

Nope, no CEL, I've started it multiple times and let it run.

1. I'll reset the PCM with a battery disconnect
2. if that doesn't do it... try to find some stock wires and check my plugs and their gapping as well...

Gotta keep the oil circulating since it's not driving around.... Got my tie rod and tie rod tool, so hopefully be doing that soon so I can move it around more than it is now....

Status?

Status?

Nope, no CEL, I've started it multiple times and let it run.

1. I'll reset the PCM with a battery disconnect
2. if that doesn't do it... try to find some stock wires and check my plugs and their gapping as well...

Gotta keep the oil circulating since it's not driving around.... Got my tie rod and tie rod tool, so hopefully be doing that soon so I can move it around more than it is now....

A note to ask what has happened to your car so recently? Did you get it fixed?

Only fuse F11 needs to be pulled to reset the PCM. There is no need to mess with F4 or to disconnect the battery in order to perform the reset of KAM.

Clean your MAF sensor.

Steve

I am having some of the same problems. I am going to be getting a new K&N filter pretty soon, and I am going to change the plugs and clean the MAF. I have stock plug wires, so I don't think thats the issue. I'm also getting P0171, but I think thats for an O2 sensor. Let me know if you fix the problem!

I honestly wouldnt get a K&N because of the problems you can have with their filter oil messing with the MAF. An AEM ProDry would be the better choice.

Back