• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

goodbye svt

Stay with the contour or some similar small displacment engine. Your 17, and probably going to be on your own before you get rid of this next car. Gas sucks to pay for regaurdless of how much fun the car is. Thats why most of these guys have fun SVT's and DD zetecs.

Stay with the contour or some similar small displacment engine. Your 17, and probably going to be on your own before you get rid of this next car. Gas sucks to pay for regaurdless of how much fun the car is. Thats why most of these guys have fun SVT's and DD zetecs.
i guess im wierd then cause i have a fun zetec and a DD SVT :crazy::laugh::laugh:

theres a huge possibilty im getting a new ride. im thinkin of pickin up a Sentra SE-R spec v or a corolla XRS anyone have any input on these rides or anyone know any sick rides for around 10k.

get the se-r as long as the motor has had the recall performed.

the Corolla XRS is cool, except its only fun if you rev the piss out of it, it has valve life over 6500 up to 8 grand, and its not very torquey like the SE-R.

Plus the SE-R spec v comes with a limited slip from the factory.

id lean towards an integra gsr or civic si... cuz the spec-V has problems with the screws holding the butterflies in place, if the screw falls out it could destroy the motor, also the precats are prone to breaking and possibly getting into the motor. the interior of the specV is also really cheap, the interior changes very little from the average sentra SE. but if you want something different i would go for an SRT-4 if you dont want a teg.

He's exactly right. I almost bought a Spec-V right before I found my CSVT. I researched them extensively & the reason I quit looking at them was because of the butterfly screws and the precats. The screws are prone to breaking off and being sucked into the engine. Needless to say, the engine is toast :blackeye: . I'd go with either an SRT-4, Civic SI, or Integra GSR. Just my 2 cents. :shrug:

The butterfly screws should be of no concern. All you have to do is locktite them. You dont even have to do that if your looking at an 04 or newer because nissan started to then. Also in 04, nissan addressed the precat issue. A little ceramic dust still gets in. Nothing a 200 dollar ebay header can't fix. As for the engine recall, that was in the early 06 models only. If anyone has any spec v questions or concerns, just ask me.

get an s4 :cool:
you'll probably have to search around a lot though for that price.
personally I'd go for something a little different than what you're looking at, but thats just me. if I had to choose between your original 2, I'd go with the Nissan for being fun to drive. Then you said something about the mazdaspeed... dont know much about those.
edit: actually I'd just keep the svt and the 10k and save up!

Last edited:
ooo i found the car i deff want i never heard of a mazdaspeed protege until now and i searched them and :drool:

I vote mazdaspeed, but remember to bring your car to my house & drop it off. You really didn't say what your plans are for it. PM Me w/ info!

That first Firebird you posted looks like it's had paintwork on its nose cone; I'd go with the second one.

The rest of these cars are no-gos. The Audi S4 is a blatant, albeit fast, example of slipshod engineering and assembly. I wouldn't recommend one to a 50 year old with a $150,000 salary who had the means to keep up with its ceaseless repair bills, much less to a young person who could easily end up strapped.

As for the Integra, I've seen more solid tuna cans. A tinny, buzzy box that people over 6 feet have no shot at fitting in. The plus side is that none of them are missing anything.

The Mazdaspeed 3 certainly has acceleration and handling prowess, but it just says "chick car," no matter how I look at it.

btw im gonna miss my svt very dearly :cry: but im trading it in for the new car. but does anyone know the stock time a MS protege runs in a querter?

Why hasn't anyone suggested a Focus SVT? They're in your price range & have similar numbers to the ones you're already considering. You could get a ZX5 if you need the 4 doors too! For the record, I'd just keep the Contour, but a Focus SVT seems like a logical progression for the price.

LauraSVT- I believe the Mazdaspeed Protege was recomended not the Mazdaspeed 3. I don't think either is a "chick car" but that just my 2 cents.

In reference to your firebirds posted...

Before I had the SVTC I had a 2001 Z28... I was 23 yrs old at the time when I bought it, clean driving record and trust me, I don't know what insurance is like in your area, but I couldn't keep up with the $487 PER MONTH I was paying in INSURANCE alone. Oh, add a $252 car payment on top of that, and you're talking $700+ a month. Save your money, keep the SVTC fix what's up with it, and wait til you're out of school or a long way through college, and hopefully the ins. payments will drop, you'll have a good job and other benefits. I'm 24 now and I'm waiting til I'm out of school and working full time to sell my SVTC and get my new car. I can't swing it now even at 7 yrs older than you.

Last edited:
Back