• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Building a Box

twang

CEG'er
This wasn't as easy as i'd thought it was gonna be >_<
Two of the peices of MDF cracked when drilling into it :blackeye:
Hopefully have it done tomorrow and ready for pics (HOPEFULLY with a sub in it as welll, just waitin on shipping)

if you use at lease 3/4" mdf there should be no cracking....
if your using screws are they to big? maybe try predrilling...
or just get a nail/staple gun i've always used that.

Its a sealed box. Yes it is 3/4inch MDF, and yes we did pre-drill holes there. I looked up what screws to use (I can't find it now, of course) and got #8 x 2 3/4.

They look similar to this...
self-drilling%20wood%20screw.JPG

I'm goin straight to work on it after school, I'll post results when I get back home.

Those are way to long, thats why it keeps splitting. The longest you will need is 1.25 to 1.5 inches. A brad gun works the best because you can put alot in and can see them.

well the cracks are filled with wood epoxy so i'd say they'll be fine, plus they're all the seams are coated with some liquid nails. All thats left that I have to do is put one more peice on the box, cut the hole for the woofer, carpet it, and put the terminal cup in. still didn't get done today...hopefully tomorow. not that i care too much because :censored::censored::censored::censored:ing DHL is the worst shipping company ever and takes too long.

EDIT: Well the sub came today! My friend's at work but gets off at nine so i'll be goin over there to finish up the box (not much left to do) and i'll have er wired up tonight prolly around midnight...just late enough to piss off the neighbors extremely bad.

Last edited:
always pre-drill the holes

and if it does crack, you should be sealing the box with liquid nails anyway so that might fill the cracks, if they arent too big

Those are way to long, thats why it keeps splitting. The longest you will need is 1.25 to 1.5 inches. A brad gun works the best because you can put alot in and can see them.

That's what I used, 3/4" mdf with 1 1/4 brad nails, also applied tight bond 3 before nailing the mdf together, then used wood caulk on all the interior edges to seal them for sure...

That's what I used, 3/4" mdf with 1 1/4 brad nails, also applied tight bond 3 before nailing the mdf together, then used wood caulk on all the interior edges to seal them for sure...

Thats is the right way to do it, I hardly ever hear anyone using screws anymore. Wood glue, then nail, the would glue the seams and your done. At least thats the way I was taught at Mobile Dynamics in Pheonix.

Thats is the right way to do it, I hardly ever hear anyone using screws anymore. Wood glue, then nail, the would glue the seams and your done. At least thats the way I was taught at Mobile Dynamics in Pheonix.

Nice place, they're one the industry leaders in training.... Some people though (my cousin) say I should of used screws.... I nailed two pieces of MDF together without glue with 3 nails and it was solid..... the box ended up with 1 1/4" nailes every .5" with tight bond 3 glue on all edges, plus the caulk inside...... She's solid :D Got some terminals from madisound.com great local shop for audio components for the do it yourselfer, lots of speakers and stuff to build your own...

grrr. I made a new trunk floor with the extra MDF since the one in there is warped due to the spare tire and the box wouldnt sit flat, but after i put the new one in there, the box doesn't fit up right. gonna have to either get some thinner wood or leave the sub facin up.

Or instead of nails, get some proper wood clamps and do away with nails/screws completely. I can't remember the last time I used either on a project.

Or instead of nails, get some proper wood clamps and do away with nails/screws completely. I can't remember the last time I used either on a project.

Yeah, Screws/nails are only to set the wood until the liquid nails dries. I find it funny when somebody loads up their box with 150+ screws thinking it will add strength. No harm in using a bunch of them but its alot of extra work. I still use screws just to make sure everything is perfectly square, It also lets me put more of the box together at once without worrying about getting pressure from all angles with the clamps.

I think I may build another box this year and move from 10's to 12's, I gotta see if the trunk will have enough room to do that though...

All depends on the subs you buy, how big the box has to be for those subs, and how much trunk space you want to have for your dead hookers.
Of course they will fit.

Back