• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Stupid Dash Clock

KennyT772

Veteran CEG'er
So I soldered in a red led in place of my burnt out clock backlight. I'm new to soldering but it I got it with little trouble. The led works nice and gives a decent back light, even though its just a normal spot pattern one.

Now I have a new problem, the timeset buttons no longer work. I don't think I hit any trace or resistor when soldering, and the clock still works. You just can't set the time anymore. :help:

I kept the stock bulb, took off the green cap and replaced it with a red one. Worked perfect.

Worst case scenario disconnect the battery and reconnect it at midnight :laugh:

green cap = bulb condom. Not been able to get one off a burned out bulb without tearing it in some way. Perhaps bulbs should be made of something that shrinks when expended. Kinda like.......well you know.

green cap = bulb condom. Not been able to get one off a burned out bulb without tearing it in some way. Perhaps bulbs should be made of something that shrinks when expended. Kinda like.......well you know.

The pre98 clock does not have the "green cap" or "green condom." Well, at least mine didn't, and I don't think the OP's does either. As for the timeset buttons, you might need to get a new circuit board. There are two contact points for the timeset buttons. If cleaning these off doesn't work, it is off to the junkyard for you...

Pre98 has a green filter between the bulb and the lcd, it slides out if you disassemble the clock.

Looks like I get to junkyard dig.

I can't change my time unless the key is on so try this if you still haven't found a solution.

(I know this is a old thread)

Back