• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

ATX Problems - 97 2.0

fish2222

New CEG'er
Hey guys. I just bought a Contour, and am having some issues. Its a 97 2.0 with the ATX. When the car is cold, you can start it up and drive it for about 5 minutes. After that, the tranny starts to slip in whatever gear it is in. It has 167k on it by the way. I havent done anything to it yet, just looking for suggestions. Would a filter and fluid change help? I doubt it has ever been changed, or is there a shift solenoid issue with these trannies, or a VSS issue that can cause this? Thanks.

You can try a fluid change or try some red LubeGuard, but, most likely, the transmission is just plain worn out and needs a rebuild.

Steve

Hey guys. I just bought a Contour, and am having some issues. Its a 97 2.0 with the ATX. When the car is cold, you can start it up and drive it for about 5 minutes. After that, the tranny starts to slip in whatever gear it is in. It has 167k on it by the way. I havent done anything to it yet, just looking for suggestions. Would a filter and fluid change help? I doubt it has ever been changed, or is there a shift solenoid issue with these trannies, or a VSS issue that can cause this? Thanks.
Welcome :) . What is the speedometer doing when the tranny "slips"?

Try changing the ATFluid first.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7&fpart=all&vc=1

I will do some driving in it tonight and see what the speedo does. Didn't really think about that till now. It would definitely be nice if all it needed was a VSS.

Well, I took it and drove it tonight. The speedo works fine, but the tranny is shot I think. Its whines really bad, and after a drive around the block, it goes from working like normal, to not moving at all. I checked the fluid level, and it was about 2 qts too full I think. I drained it, and added 3 qts back, and tried it. Does the same thing. It seems to almost be pump related, because you can shut it off for a few minutes, get back in it, and it drive you around the block before it quits again. I did stick a magnet in the my drain pan, which was clean before I started, and picked out a few pieces of metal. Not good... Oh well. I gave $200 for the car anyway, and I bought the ATSG CD4E book just so I could tear it down and rebuild it anyway.

So, how hard is it to get the tranny out of these cars? Do you have to pull the entire engine/tranny assembly? Or can you get the tranny out by itself? I have a shop manual on order, but I haven't received it yet. Thanks!

If only the pics were still there.

They are, it took about 3 minutes for me to get the first page loaded, even on a semi broadband 800kbps connection. Try reloading a few times. Good luck with the trans project!

Thanks. The pics showed up that time... Not sure why they didn't the first time. I started pulling parts off the top of the motor and tranny yesterday. Looks like its all going to be a tight fit out of the top, but it should work with a little effort.

Back