• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Opinions on keeping the svt or not.

posthuman63t

Veteran CEG'er
I'm between a rock and a hard place right now. Currently my car has 90k on it, the engine has about 30k on it, and the tranny has about 15k on it. I need to repair some rust on the lower door skins on the inside. I was quoted about 1800 (which I believe is high) to get it fixed, and that with 2 hours body work and 2 hours paint and prep for each door. I also have a spring that will be needing to be replaced and I figured I might as well do springs and struts (plus misc. other parts). I figure around 700-750 for that. I also still need to get my car dyno tuned, which I'm guessing will be around 500-600. Now the question is, is it really worth it to put this much money into the car? It runs fine, and I enjoy not having a car payment, and yes if all that work was done I'd keep it for a few more years. Then again, I could probably sell it for around 5k and I have that matched in the bank right now so I could probably afford a good new car (credit was 701 before I paid off my car and credit card).

What would you do? Is it really worth it, or should I think about looking for something new? I sort of wanna figure this out because if I decide to sell it, I would like the rust issue to not be worse to where heavy body work would be needed. All opinions are appreciated.

I say get it fixed for a few thounsand dollars then save up for an even better car in a couple of years. That is what i am doing : )

I would say keep it. For even less than $1k you could get it to the point where you would be happy about driving it again. It sounds like you are loosing interest..... having no car payment is a luxury that many don't have.

my biggest issue is the rust. I don't like it at all. If that was fixed I'd be happier than ever. This past weekend was the first spec of nice weather we've had in milwaukee, and I loved driving around. Got to have a little fun.

same problem only my SVT has a blown motor just as i paid it off, just my luck. want to get something else but the SVT is still in good shape plus i just finished school and can't find a job. like having no car payment even though its only been a couple of weeks

Hey fellow wisconie here. I'd say sell it to me and you can have my 'tour:laugh: Well, I would put the money into it. Where abouts are you? My dad actually has a body shop located near milwaukee. He might be able to give you a better price if your nearby.

Well the offer is out there. good luck

SZ08, haven't made up my mind yet. Thats a good drive from here (longer for others I know).

I'm Located in Oak Creek right now (South Milwaukee area). I've got one buddy checking to see what a shop down in Racine can do about the work, but if you think he could give me a deal then I could probably give him some business.

I think you are dreaming of you think a rusted up svt with an untuned 3l and bad suspension is going to be worth 5 grand. It sounds like you are trying to talk yourself into a new car.
You should be able to get that thing back in good shape for a couple or three grand and then you will be good to go again for a while.

My latest kick is looking for replacement body panels instead of repair. If you talk to some of the guys on here I'd think you could find some SF doors in good shape for pretty cheap. Just bolt them on and throw the old ones away.

keep it for sure! i paid just under 10 (about what you said you'd use to buy a new car) for my car and love it... but i still miss the SVT... as in this car isn't that much better imho for how much more it cost.

keep it for sure! i paid just under 10 (about what you said you'd use to buy a new car) for my car and love it... but i still miss the SVT... as in this car isn't that much better imho for how much more it cost.

I know of another CEG'er that has the doors, but he's in Michigan and thats a little more than a short drive.

I have about 5 in the bank and I'm sure I could sell the car for 5. That would be my down payment on something else. I sort of do want another car, but I like not having a car payment. I want to pay a max of 1k for the rust repair, and the suspension and tune will run a little more than that. I'm willing to spend ~2k, when it gets to be closer to 3k and up, I question whether or not its really worth it.

I think you are dreaming of you think a rusted up svt with an untuned 3l and bad suspension is going to be worth 5 grand.

The rust is just starting, on the inside lower portion of the doors, it's not through the door or moving to the front yet. It CAN be sandblasted to get rid of it. The suspension is fine except for 1 spring, drivers front. It drives and rides fine, but it sits a little lower on that corner. Does it need all new suspension, no, but if I were to change it out, I'd rather upgrade everything. And yes, it is untuned, but I've been driving it for almost 2 years now with NO problems. It starts, runs, and redlines fine. It may not be worth 5k to you, but I'm sure it is to someone.

Back