• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

help me identify my engine noise

codypka

Veteran CEG'er
I made a thread a few weeks ago about some wierd engine noises from my 2000 CSVT. Yesterday i took some videos (poor quality, done with camera). Note that in video #1 the sound came out way louder than in person. Sorry they are of short length but batteries ran out.

please note i have experienced intermittent stalling when pulling up to lights or stop signs, and my MPG have decreased to around 20MPG since around the time these noises started

ok here we go i hope this works

vid1 from close up
http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb163/codypka/?action=view&current=DSCN2167.flv

and vid2 from farther away (ignore girlfriends voice at end)
http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb163/codypka/?action=view&current=DSCN2166.flv

it sounds like if is a rod bearing, does the noise is a steady noise or comes and goes. do you see any effects on performance, like when you get on it noise gets louder.

it sounds like if is a rod bearing, does the noise is a steady noise or comes and goes. do you see any effects on performance, like when you get on it noise gets louder.

i can't here the noise when driving. Like i said, they video makes it sound much louder than it is. If i pull on the throttle with the hood up the noise gets faster but not louder

noise seems louder near top of engine rather than underneath the car. noise seems to come from the area of the UIM and closer to front of the car

either exhaust leak at the manifold,bearing or lifter or something...btw,i love this
n503532222_6452_3578.jpg

either exhaust leak at the manifold,bearing or lifter or something...btw,i love this
n503532222_6452_3578.jpg

haha. yes and everyone is more than welcome to check out my album full of funny pictures

please stop this talk of bearings... I can't afford a 3L

you ask our opinion and thats what we are giving to you, to rebuild the engine you still need to take it out of the car, cost more than swaping a 3L, i bet everyone will bouch for that.

Exhaust leak...

This is KidSVT's engine noise, it was a gasket on one of the pre-cats, IIRC. Sounds similar to yours and maybe a bit worse at times.

http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s265/akmcclain/?action=view&current=MVI_0068.flv

http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s265/akmcclain/?action=view&current=MVI_0089.flv

Thanks Luca. that does sound familiar, although definately louder than my car.

wow i cant believe and exhaust leak would cause all that noise. I certainly hope thats my problem and its not the engine going. Come to think of it, i had a CEL a llittle while ago that was something to do with the CAT. Maybe related?

EDIT: the code was P0420

mine sounds just like that but seems a little louder. it does stop at times and changes rhythm as it keeps running. def not the top end torn that apart if it is possible that it is an exhaust leak that would be fantastic. i haven't driven it since the noise started, 3 long weeks in my mothers van, blah. is has thrown the same code 0420 is there an easy way to check for this leak
Thanks
Amanda

mine sounds just like that but seems a little louder. it does stop at times and changes rhythm as it keeps running. def not the top end torn that apart if it is possible that it is an exhaust leak that would be fantastic. i haven't driven it since the noise started, 3 long weeks in my mothers van, blah. is has thrown the same code 0420 is there an easy way to check for this leak
Thanks
Amanda

ya, i wonder the same. any way to check for this problem?

Start the car when it's cold out and see if you can visually see the exhaust leaking somewhere, either under the hood or under the car. If that doesn't work follow the noise the best you can and try to feel around for air escaping at the exhaust joints. Don't touch the exhaust though as it gets pretty warm ;)

dude, please check your SPARK PLUGS in all cylinders to see if one or more have worked themselves loose. I had the same noise and it ended up being a loose spark plug. CHECK THIS FIRST. :) Hope this is all it is. Adam

dude, please check your SPARK PLUGS in all cylinders to see if one or more have worked themselves loose. I had the same noise and it ended up being a loose spark plug. CHECK THIS FIRST. :) Hope this is all it is. Adam

i'l check it out when i leave to go to work tonight and post what i see when i get home. thanks for the advise

ok.....eagerly awaiting to hear from you :) I really hope thats all it is. It really sound like it could be that though.

engine noise

engine noise

That sounds a lot like the noise that I had in my 2.5 liter. Check all your spark plugs to make sure that none of them have backed off. I ended up blowing a plug right out of the head.

good luck

mh

I can't see the vids (photobucket blocked at work) but I had a knocking noise after swapping the spark plugs too, so I'll back that opinion ...

If anything, it's a quick diagnostic... good luck.

Back