• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

HELP blinking cel

99csvtoledo

CEG'er
so my cel started blinking tonight while at work. so i look up in the owners manual it could be a misfire. how bad is this. im dropping it off at the mechanics tomorrow what should i expect. what might the car need

New plugs and wires and you'll probably be fine. Make sure they are gapped properly. .054 inches

Last edited:
Ian is on top of it, do some plugs and wires, Motorcraft is the best way to go.

Blinking CEL usually means misfire or possible damage to the cats.

Don't send it to the mechanic yet (usually cost $75 to read the codes) unless they read the codes free. Autozone or Advance Auto will read the codes free. With the codes, post here and we can tell you what you should do next. Most times, a blinking CEL is a misfire. With the exact codes, it can be narrowed down and you are ahead of the game if you go to a mechanic telling them what CEL code you have so that they can narrow down the diagnostic (and charge).

thanx guys. im gunna replace that stuff tommorrow. motorcraft plugs and wires the best way to go?

Either Motorcrafts or Autolites are fine fro the plugs. Both have a reputation for very good performance in these engines.

I'm ar around 75-80K on this set of AutoLite Professional wires. They cost about $75 back then from Advance Auto Parts.

Steve

well i replaced the plugs(auto zone didnt have wires ill get to them soon) and the cel is still blinking. could the wires still be the problem? im going back to auto zone so they can pull the codes then ill post them here

well i replaced the plugs(auto zone didnt have wires ill get to them soon) and the cel is still blinking. could the wires still be the problem? im going back to auto zone so they can pull the codes then ill post them here

well hopefully you didn't just ruin the new plugs ... yes the wires could be part of the problem.

so you went to the auto parts store, and didnt get your CEL scanned?

We have a database here of what every CEL code means.

well here are the codes that got pulled.

P0420-catalyst efficiency low bank 1

P0430-catalyst efficiency low bank 2

and P0302- misfire detected cyl#2

so you went to the auto parts store, and didnt get your CEL scanned?

Not to be a jerk, but I must concur. :confused:

Get those codes and post them. It could be possible that your wires aren't any good. What were the condition of the spark plugs you pulled?
It might also be possible that you could have a problem with the coil pack, but codes will help.

just a side question...i just changed my plugs. i went with the motorcraft ones. i though i should gap them, but they said thay should have been pregapped. i measured the gap and they were all at .05 - .051... car seem to run just fine. but is that bad for the svt? should i take them out and regap them at .054??? thanks and sorry for jumping in like that.

well plugs and wires have been replaced with motor craft. and still same thing blinking CEL then stops bliking and stays on while at say a stop light or somethign. am i gunna have to preplace the cat converter?

well plugs and wires have been replaced with motor craft. and still same thing blinking CEL then stops bliking and stays on while at say a stop light or somethign. am i gunna have to preplace the cat converter?
You P0302 could be causing the P0420 and P0430. I would wait on the cat converter. You should diagnose the P0302 first.

Start by making sure the spark plug wiring order is correct (the firewall side of the coil should be 4-6-5). Then test the ignition coil. If the ignition coil tests fine, then you may need to get a "live data scan" or freeze frame data scan. That would help narrow down the possibilities. You could be looking at a fuel injector problem. Either Injector 6 or 2.

Autozonelink for ignition coil.
http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1b/c4/02/0900823d801bc402/repairInfoPages.htm

Last edited:
... car seem to run just fine. but is that bad for the svt? should i take them out and regap them at .054??? thanks and sorry for jumping in like that.
If the car runs fine, don't worry about it. Just bear in mine that soon you will be looking at some "bogging down". Then you will know it is the spark plug gap.

well i disconnecet the battery and that seemed to reset every thing so no more CEL light. although the car does seem a bit shaky. it seems to bog down a bit more ar lower RPM's could that be due to a clogged Cat converter??

Back