• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

couple ??? with pics

CONTOURCODY

CEG'er
1 - What hose is suppose to be connected where the small red hose is in the first picture? I thought I knew what hose connects there, but I wasn't able to locate any loss hose in that area.

2 - In the last two pictures, what is that loss hose and where is it suppose to be connected?

Attachments

• intake 1.jpg
    intake 1.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_2261.jpg
    100_2261.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_2257.jpg
    100_2257.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 0
1. It certainly does not. It goes to the rear valve cover. Looks like someone replaced your hose with a red colored one.

2. I can't see where it runs at the top in the middle pic.

^^^^ Yep. The last two pics are the ATX vent hose. Comes off the top of the ATX (visible in the close up of the third picture). The other end is not connected, it's supposed to be open. On my ATX Cougar, the open end was attached to a clip on the rear battery hold down. Not sure where it is on the 'Tours off top of my head.

^^^^ Yep. The last two pics are the ATX vent hose. Comes off the top of the ATX (visible in the close up of the third picture). The other end is not connected, it's supposed to be open. On my ATX Cougar, the open end was attached to a clip on the rear battery hold down. Not sure where it is on the 'Tours off top of my head.

its the same, clipped into the side or back of the battery tray depending on what battery tray the car has

1. It certainly does not. It goes to the rear valve cover. Looks like someone replaced your hose with a red colored one.

That red hose in the pic was put there be me. I used that to cap off the opening, since there was nothing there to begin with.

Will I be able to locate the opening on the rear valve cover easily, or is it hidden behind a cover like the front is?
All I'll have to do is run a new hose from the rear valve cover to the intake and that's it, correct?

ATX vent tube, OK! I knew it was coming from the trans but I had no clue what it actually was. I'll just secure it out of the way so it's not just dangling like it was.

Thanks, everyone!

OK I'm fairly sure I found the rear cover's vent. So for now I just rigged up a hose and a small plastic piece, then connected it to the intake.

I want to replace both the rear and front hoses since both are rig jobs.
Where would I be able to find factory replacement vent hoses? Dealership, junk yard, or aftermarket?

OK I'm fairly sure I found the rear cover's vent. So for now I just rigged up a hose and a small plastic piece, then connected it to the intake.

I want to replace both the rear and front hoses since both are rig jobs.
Where would I be able to find factory replacement vent hoses? Dealership, junk yard, or aftermarket?

Go to a junk yard. The front and rear hoses have rubber grommets that go over the valve cover but also have METAL tubes that run the majority of the way to the intake accordion hose then there are two small sections of rubber hose (one for each valve cover) that go the rest of the way to the accordion hose.

All of these lines will be extremely easy to get at a junk yard and will require no tools to take off. Just find any 2.5L V6 Duratec and you will be good to go.

However if you want to it is not necessary to run these to the intake unless you want to maintain the factory look. You can just as easily run the valve cover crank case vents to a tee and then put a breather filter on it. Once you have done this cap of the inlets for them at the accordion tube and your good to go as well. This prevents oil from being drawn into the intake track. I would also recommend putting a small air compressor filter on your PCV line that goes to the throttle body. Just my two cents. PM me for pictures if you like.

Last edited:
You can just as easily run the valve cover crank case vents to a tee and then put a breather filter on it. Once you have done this cap of the inlets for them at the accordion tube and your good to go as well.
Wouldn't that throw off what the PCM thinks it's getting for air flow because it's after the MAF?

Wouldn't that throw off what the PCM thinks it's getting for air flow because it's after the MAF?
Yes and no. The small amount of air that would normally be ingested is well within the learning capabilities of the PCM, and no where near enough to throw a code. The PCM will see it as a slightly rich condition and pull fuel accordingly.

Yes and no. The small amount of air that would normally be ingested is well within the learning capabilities of the PCM, and no where near enough to throw a code. The PCM will see it as a slightly rich condition and pull fuel accordingly.

I'm confused... your capping off the lines, not leaving it open to atmosphere.

It's not pulling anymore air then whats going through the MAF. :confused:

The wideband on my car hasn't changed a bit since I've completed this mod.

Back