• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Exhaust design

cobrawannabe

Addicted CEG'er
Hey everyone, quick question.

I am about to run a custom 2.5" exhaust (all mandrel bent of course...), and am considering putting a turbo muffler (or something similar) at the end with a ~45 degree, 3-inch turndown UNDER the bumper, no holes will be cut. Also, I want to know what you guys PERSONALLY (no links to other threads PLEASE!) think about a resonator. I would like to keep the car within reason soundwise, since it is an ATX. I mostly am doing this for gas reasons, but the performance and sound will be a good bosst. What do you guys think?

Thanks!:cool:

Important question here.

Do you want it loud or quiet?

Seeing your going with a turbo muffler, that will help with noise reduction over the rest of the mufflers out there. Since it has alot of baffles inside of it.

Are you planning on running any cats?

My car is an ATX and has 2.25 header back with a muffler at the end. The muffler has a little bit of sound dampening material and the car is still ridiculously loud. I'd say go with a resonator too if you don't want it to be that loud.

I want the car to be relatively quiet. I do love the zetec though. It's the only 4-cyl that doesn't sound like a weedwhacker, so I wouldn't mind if it had a bit of a bark at WOT.

and a cat is a must. How much should I expect to drop on a cheaper hi-flow?

I have the cougar header, a car sound performance cat, then a straight through magnaflow muffler (where the resonator was), and finally a second straight through magnaflow muffler where the stock muffler was. 2.5 inch tubing. It sounds pretty good, nice and quite for having a header, growls kinda loud while accelerating though. I have a video with sound on my cardomain page (link is in my signature) if you want to listen to it. The raspy pop in the clip occurs when you let off the throttle completely just after reving it. If you rev and then back off gradually it doesn't do it (just an fyi).

If I were to do it all over again, I would go with 2.25 inch tubing since I'm staying N/A.

Mines about that x2. I'd either go with what he said, or throw mufflers on there as well. Although, won't a 2.5 be too big for a zetec if you do duals?

My SVT exhaust doesn't consist of "true" duals. It is 2.25" until is splits into two 2" tips. But as I said, most people concur that having a resonator and cutting out the mufflers is the way to go.

EDIT: Here is a Zetec with resonator and no muffler SVT exhaust.
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showpost.php?p=286117&postcount=17

Last edited:
thats it. i had an adjustable FPR but it was set to the stock fuel pressure level. other than that it was just the intake and exhaust.

Well damn, i've gotta get on a dyno then because i've got a focus intake on the way and a 2.25 exhaust. Its an atx so that could be the difference. :shrug:

an auto trans will pretty much kill power output whenever compared to a manual trans car of the same model. unless the numbers have changed for some reason, my last research said that the average manual trans car will lose approx 10-15% in the driveline where as an automatic loses 15-25%, and i believe these numbers were in reference to a 2wd vehicle because an AWD or 4WD vehicle will obviously lose more.

an auto trans will pretty much kill power output whenever compared to a manual trans car of the same model. unless the numbers have changed for some reason, my last research said that the average manual trans car will lose approx 10-15% in the driveline where as an automatic loses 15-25%, and i believe these numbers were in reference to a 2wd vehicle because an AWD or 4WD vehicle will obviously lose more.
thats correct, although we know from stock SVT dynos that the MTX75 is about a 17% loss :nonono:

ATXs typically average around 20-25%, not sure the cd4e is though.

thats correct, although we know from stock SVT dynos that the MTX75 is about a 17% loss :nonono:

ATXs typically average around 20-25%, not sure the cd4e is though.

glad the numbers haven't changed haha

yea, if the MTX on an svt is that much i couldn't see an atx being less than like 23%

granted with lighter flywheel, clutch, axles, etc. might bring the numbers down a little. granted most people that would do that don't have an engine and chassis dyno ready to test on haha

glad the numbers haven't changed haha

yea, if the MTX on an svt is that much i couldn't see an atx being less than like 23%

granted with lighter flywheel, clutch, axles, etc. might bring the numbers down a little. granted most people that would do that don't have an engine and chassis dyno ready to test on haha
actually, IIRC, you can use just a chassis dyno to figure it out. ill see if i can find how to do that in my books from school tonight (after i get my ksports in the car :D)

For those who can't read:)laugh: ), I will be running a SINGLE 2.5". I don't know about this turbo muffler. I am thinking about it because I'm sure it will get rid of some of the rasp, and the shape is exactly what I want. As far as my tip, that's the visual part I am most excited about. It will be a 3" turndown (like the orginal, just larger? right behing the bumper. No bumper slots will be cut. Will I lose a good amount of power if I run a resonator and a muffler? I really like the way Ian's car sounds, I'd just like mine maybe a bit deeper.:shrug:

Back