• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Stupid state troopers know nothing about cars.

according to the paperwork, it sits on .31 acres.
my yard is .49 acres

Matty, no throwing stones at me, unless of course i am drunk!
haha

first of there was a proposed house bill no. 3574 to ban the sale or installation of an exhaust which has been modified to increase the noise. I don't know where this "you can't use anything other than factory stuff came from because that is bull. I have a copy of the house bill straight from the mass gov. website and it doesn't say that. if it isn't noisy it's fine, so aftermarket will work, and it's still grey area.

according to what I have found the bill(which is not law) if it was to pass was to be inserted in section 7 line 176 of chapter 90 mass general laws. I have printed out that section and it has not been inserted, all it syays is thsi "every motor vehicle so operated shall be provided with a muffler or other suitable device to prevent unnecessry noise". however, the same law under chapter 90, section 16"offensive or illegal opertaion of motor vehicles" still basically reads you can't run muffler cut outs, remove baffles and screens and other internal parts and part 2 reads.. or operate a motor vehicle with an exhaust system which has been modified in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted.

now what is modified, if it still has cats, no baffles cut and a 50 state C.A.R.B certified system that isn't modified to me. that is the fight. I'm keeping a copy of the chapter 90 section 7 &16 and propossed bill in my glove box.

I want a trooper to show me where it says it has to have a stock system, what is modified and what is amplified and he better be able to test it if he is going to pull out a ticket book.

i will have to go back to the shop that gave me a hard time about my SVT.
he had some paperwork that stated the exhaust had to be stock.

well from how I read it the exhaust can not be louder then stock ... an aftermarket exhaust is going to make it louder then stock so that means it illegal ....

but I am with you, they need standards to measure against to make sure, otherwise its all subjective ....

i will have to go back to the shop that gave me a hard time about my SVT.
he had some paperwork that stated the exhaust had to be stock.

well that is bull. we are governed by the general laws of the state, they can't have 2 standards of rule.1 for the shop 1 for the rest of us.

you can use this link and just type in chapter 90 and then what section either 7 or 16 and read it.

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/mgllink.htm

or you can read the original bill if you want and see it leaves itself wide open

http://www.mass.gov/legis/hbillsrch.htm just type in 3574.

no where does it say stock...brian it say/s modified to amplify the sound a 50 state legal muffler isn't modified in my book. open dumps, mufflers removed, no tails are modified from original design. I believe almost all 50 state exhaust and carb certified stuff meets db readings, i would think. judgement calls are not a legal measurement and should be thrown out. this is bull and the state is pissed becuase it didn't pass.

couple years ago i was driving my buddies bone stock svtc and got pulled over for the stock exhaust..he wouldn't for the life of me believe me that it was a stock catback from the factory..i tried telling him about the car and all. i didn't get a ticket but he said "fix it" next time i wont be so nice..:nonono:

Back